Cost of Hay?

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just curious... what hay is running in various parts of the country. I haven't costed yet, but paid 13.00 a bale last year for very nice clean grass/alfalfa blend bales ranged 125 to 135 plus pounds.

We just brought down the last of last years purchase from the hay barn to the horse barn so I'll be costing hay soon... ouch!

appytaz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just bought a nice size roll of grass hay for $85 (that is with delivery) It last me a month with one horse and one mini donk on it full time.

Coastal - reg bales: $7.50
Alfie Bales - $14.00 and up.
Grass & Alfie - $12.50 and up

I am in Central FL

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
horse quality coastal hay is $40 to $60 a round bale.horse quality sq bales 65lbs or a tad bigger $6 to $8 a bale.warning better watch alalfa or alalfa mix grass hay.because some of that hay has blister beetles in it.an itll kill a horse fast.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Round bales down south here are running $75 plus. Local feed store is selling coastal square bales at $7 a pop and Alfalfa is $18 a bale. We purchased our extras since we didn't get a good enough cut for $35 a bale last fall. Averaged $45 to have it cut on our pasture so that was good.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I only get the 70 ish lb. bales as I don't have a tractor and have to move everything by hand; so I don't know the larger bale prices.

But, for cruddy alfalfa I'm paying $9.95. Everyone is having a seriously hard time even finding any alfalfa (including all the feed stores).

Grass/Alfalfa mix is running about $11 a bale with only 10% alfalfa.

Pure Country

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We primarily use rolls. We pay about 35.00/40.00 for a 1000# roll of fescue or fescue mix. Around 40.00/45.00 for coastal.

A friend of ours in Texas said that decent horse hay is going for 100.00 for 900# a roll.

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Carri - I am a transplanted Norcoian!! Berwin Hanna was our farrier, I see he is now a councilman? Folks here love to hear the stories of being "cameled" when riding the roads there. Miss that terribly, but love the ruralness here. Do you belong to any of the riding groups there?

Rowzy

Just born
Reaction score
Hay has gone down a lot lately around here. I live in western washington and I bought timothy from eastern washington for 350 a ton last year.
This year I bought timothy from Idaho for 275 a ton (with delivery into a hay loft). These were 120ish lbs bales so you can calculate the price per if you want. :)

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We pay $168 a ton for Western Washington hay that tests higher in protein then the Eastern Washington hay :p Hay prices are coming down a bit. My neighbor sell Eastern Washington hay for $280 a ton right now. We don't like all the dust that you get with the Eastern Washington hay.

Latest posts