Cougars

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I know people on here have dealt with them before. My mom spotted one running behind our house towards the river.
Is there anything we can do to deter it? Our dogs (6 of them) are penned next to our sheep and are beneath our window. I be been told most dogs are enough to tree a cougar with so I'm hoping that will work.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My dogs didn't seem to help, the cougars still attacked the sheep!!!! One dog got ripped up pretty bad. My suggestion to deter them would be to turn a radio on by the sheep during the night!!!!! They have taken alot of our neighbors dogs, big ones too!!!:hide
Good luck!!! Cougars are nasty!!! :( I wouldn't with them on anyone!!! Watch out for yourself!!!!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I never saw it and am hoping it's continuing south. There's a lot of deer and other prey to be found in the desert.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mountain lions, like most predators, are opportunistic. Back when I lived in Colorado, we had 3-5 cats in a narrow valley and we had them stalk my sled dogs when I ran dogs. You could hear their territory calls night and day. One even left a dead deer under my bedroom window. I saw them maybe 3-4 times around the house.

A mtn lion will take on large dogs if desperate or used to people. We deterred them by putting tops on our pens. We used field fencing and that was the best thing we could've done -- cats won't jump on something that looks flimsy. I wish I could top my outdoor pens for the goats and llama. I still may try because cats are really nasty.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cougars taste very good. The flavor is delicate. If you get the chance try some.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend's LGDs keep the cougars out of the pens. They had a pen with no LGD in it and the cougar killed a goat, but the pens with the LGDs have always been safe.

After the cougar came back 4 times that night looking for its kill (they had interrupted its meal), they did the SSS.

But personally I would be scared to death if my dogs had to confront a cat. My border collies are scared to death of my house cats, and they are declawed. Good thing they aren't guarding my goats. The house cats are probably braver than those 2 dogs.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was skeptical myself. But tried it. And low and behold, I was impressed. Bobcat is also very good. I would eat those two over bear.
My husband did a stint trapping when he was younger and it just felt better if what he brought in did not go to waste.
We drew the line at coyote and opossums though. LOL

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I've heard bears kind of like greasy pork. Any truth to that?