coughing goat?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Here where I live, safeguard doesn't do much of anything anymore, especially for lungworm.

I give ivomec at the dosage I listed earlier in this thread if I suspect lungworm BUT...I also take their temps, watch for other symptoms, and have had the vet confirm lungworm here before.

I've given ivomec, safeguard, and valbazen to really bad-off animals daily and not killed one yet but...again, that's here.

What works for one, won't always work for another. "It could be" a lot of things, and it may be none of them.

Is there a reason you're not taking a fecal in to get tested so you can be sure?
Hard for us to diagnose definitively over a computer....a good goat vet would be a lot more help.

IMHO, asking for diagnosis / treatment help for something as vague as a cough online, w/out involving a vet, is putting the goat at risk.

zatsenoughcritters4me

Many Critters
Reaction score
we had problems with safeguard being effective here also, we use the stuff from the vet cydectin (moxidectin) says oral drench for sheep it covers all the bad stuff!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Safeguard is still effective here but the vets are warning us to only use it when we have done a fecal and really need it. I only give wormers when they have something but some people still do a monthly worming with Ivomec and Safeguard.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but...

Dude...Why ask advice if you don't take it? And why should any of us continue to give you advice about your goats when you obviously just disregard it?

Look...several people asked you to take her temperature to try and determine whether or not she has an infection, which could distinguish between pneumonia and something else.. Did you do that? I don't see any indication that you did that.. Several people also asked you to have a fecal run to check for lungworms eggs, and even though finding lungworms eggs is supposed to be tricky at best...it doesn't appear that you've even tried.

So...what is it that you want, exactly? :barnie

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Her temp is 101.6. Pellets are normal all my goats inner eyelids are really pale pink exept for right along rim is red/pink.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
That temp is low-normal. Their eyelids sound pale but....again, it's mighty hard to diagnose anything online, esp. w/ no pictures.
Take a fecal sample into a vet who KNOWS goats...
(Call around if you have to). Ask specifically for a lungworm float.
If you're unable / unwilling to do that, and have ivermectin available, hit her w/ that. Repeat.
What the heck, hit her w/ safeguard as well....

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so it's probably not an infection then.. I notice that you're in Washington state, and "they" (whoever they are) say that lungworms are worse where the weather and pastures are wet a lot.. I have no experience with lungworms, personally, as the weather's generally not really conducive to either those or liver flukes around here.

If their eyelids are pale and they've only ever been wormed with Safe Guard, I'd probably go ahead and hit them with ivermectin...or moxidectin, or doramectin, or whatever other "clear" family of wormer you've got handy.

It wouldn't hurt to have fecals run, but frankly I'd be amazed and totally confounded if they came back indicating that they didn't need to be dewormed.. A lot of people go by coat condition and eyelids alone...I'm one of those people. If they're pale pink, I'd deworm.

The dosage we use for ivermectin 1% injectable is 1ml/33lbs bodyweight, drenched. Since you're in a wet state, if I were you I'd probably get "Ivomec Plus" or some other ivermectin that includes the drug clorsulon.. The clorsulon will kill liver flukes, if they have any.

Good on ya for taking her temp. :thumbsup

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No, one worming will not handle lung worms. We worm with liquid Safeguard at the rate of 1ml per 10lbs every day for 7 days, then wait 7 days, then again for 7 days, then have a fecal done to confirm they are are clean 14 days after the last worming.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing against vets, I would love to bring her to a vet but we are not able to do it right now.I gave a dose of ivermectin to her so we will see how she does. I only had paste on hand.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kevin, Safeguard is best for lung worm, Valbazen is second best. Ivomec/Ivomec+/Ivomectin are great for most other worms.

Latest posts