Coughing goat

Heather Law

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a doe who has been coughing for a few weeks now and I’m having trouble figuring out what to do and why. She is new to the herd and has gotten hit a few times pretty hard in the ribs by my herd queen so I’m concerned about that maybe doing damage. When I bought her she had just been tested for CAE, CL and Jones disease so I don’t think its that. I keep things pretty clean and dry. It’s sort of a hacking cough but slightly wet sounding. Any ideas would be most appreciated. I haven’t had goats long and am still in a steep learning curve.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some nasty parasites out there... one gets in the lungs and can be hugely problematic....

I am not familiar with it (it isn't here in Alaska.. but my baby sister in Texas has had trouble with it).

I would call a local goat vet, or call your local extension agent and ask for a list of common parasites in your area... and how to treat them.

Vet call of course most likely to make sure you don't lose the goat.... but more expensive.

Check her color... are you familiar with the Famacha score for goats? If her gums and inner eyelid are very pale, then she most likely has a high parasite load.

FAMACHAR-anaemia-guide.png

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see this is from a few months ago...

How is your doe?

I am in Central California. I don't usually have issues with coughs in my goats, but an occasional dust related cough that isn't persistent or regular, doesn't worry me. This year though, with the strange weather, and now the humidity (that at least is fairly normal for this time of year) I worry about pneumonia. @babsbag is in Northern Cali and has used a vaccine to prevent pneumonia, might be something to consider once you get your doe all better.

Lungworms can cause coughing too I believe.

Latest posts