Coughing pig

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an 18month old Kunekune sow who was healthy as can be til yesterday: developed sudden, harsh bouts of dry cough. Reminded me of when I get some dust in the throat when shredding a field. Just harsh and dry cough. She was acting fine, eating, no fever. Several hours later she was still doing it, so I gave her a dose of ivomec, in case it was roundworms. Today, she ate breakfast well, but now feels warmer and is lying down in the shade. She welcomes her belly rubs, but definitely not her usual self. Still having occasional bouts of the dry cough (2-3 bouts in the 40minutes I’ve been sitting here, maybe 10 seconds each bout). Might be breathing a bit fast, but not labored.

Could the ivomec cause a reaction like this? Otherwise, I’m thinking pneumonia. I have injectable antibiotics on hand, but I have no pig restraint option. The last time I tried to inject a pig, it got dangerous quickly. Can I dose with oral amoxil? I read 23mg/kg daily x5d. Anyone have any experience with this? I believe I also have augmentin (aka clavamox), but I haven’t found a swine dose.
Any suggestions?

For anyone in the future with similar thoughts, I found this article on amoxil dosing:

Last edited:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Apart from the dry cough how Is her breathing? When she exhales is it normal but then at the very end does her side kind of “thump” like she’s trying to push the last little bit of air out of her lungs? That’s indicative of a lung issue like pneumonia. Is she lethargic? What’s her temperature? I don’t deal in oral meds, just injections up in the triangle behind the ear. Or you can inject her at the base of the ham (read undercrease of the butt cheek), run her into a corner and pin her to the wall with a piece of fencing, a pallet, something. If there’s no labored breathing, no fever, and no thumping it could just be a cold and just make sure she has plenty of food and liquids. Make sure she has a place to sun and a place to cool off.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Apart from the dry cough how Is her breathing? When she exhales is it normal but then at the very end does her side kind of “thump” like she’s trying to push the last little bit of air out of her lungs? That’s indicative of a lung issue like pneumonia. Is she lethargic? What’s her temperature? I don’t deal in oral meds, just injections up in the triangle behind the ear. Or you can inject her at the base of the ham (read undercrease of the butt cheek), run her into a corner and pin her to the wall with a piece of fencing, a pallet, something. If there’s no labored breathing, no fever, and no thumping it could just be a cold and just make sure she has plenty of food and liquids. Make sure she has a place to sun and a place to cool off.

Thanks for your insight! Last night, she was breathing a bit fast, and she did seem to have a bit of a “Sigh” at the end of breaths (she was lying next to her sister, who I used as my reference). She was less interested in food yesterday, but still eating. I started oral amoxil/clavulanate with dosing per the above article. I hid the pill in scrambled eggs and she ate those fast! It seemed to stimulate her appetite, as she got up to graze a bit. She slept a lot yesterday. This morning, she seemed a bit perkier. Ate breakfast more enthusiastically. She’s been grazing with her friends throughout the day, rolling in mud like a good Texas pig. I’ve only heard one bout of cough earlier today.

Not sure what to think: a mild cold as you suggested that just improved? Something she aspirated and cleared on her own? Early pneumonia that the antibiotics got under control quickly? Allergies? Amusing torment of a pig-owner who frets too much about her farm-pets? ;) I shall never know, but I sure appreciate the input. I am already devising a corner trap with fencing as you described so I can do injections as needed in the future, though. Good to know about the ham location; I’ve done countless injections in humans of all ages/sizes, but something about injecting in the pig’s neck just gives me pause...

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear she improved. Again with that location for a shot in the rear, it is at the bottom, the ham is a desired cut and you don’t want it all tough from scar tissue. The injection site is right under that. But here’s the case for The neck. Imagine a 6-8 inch triangle with one point starting behind the ear and the base running parallel to the shoulder. In the center of that triangle is nothing but meat that you’re not worried about eating. It’s like sticking someone in the shoulder to give them a shot. Aiming for the base of the ham, there’s always a chance she moves and instead of sticking just under the ham you’ve stuck the ham. The neck has a margin for error and again I’d say it’s the equivalent of giving someone a shot in the shoulder. But I agree you should do what you’re comfortable with.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad to hear she improved. Again with that location for a shot in the rear, it is at the bottom, the ham is a desired cut and you don’t want it all tough from scar tissue. The injection site is right under that. But here’s the case for The neck. Imagine a 6-8 inch triangle with one point starting behind the ear and the base running parallel to the shoulder. In the center of that triangle is nothing but meat that you’re not worried about eating. It’s like sticking someone in the shoulder to give them a shot. Aiming for the base of the ham, there’s always a chance she moves and instead of sticking just under the ham you’ve stuck the ham. The neck has a margin for error and again I’d say it’s the equivalent of giving someone a shot in the shoulder. But I agree you should do what you’re comfortable with.

I appreciate it. Like all good caretakers, I researched how to give pigs shots...and read too many horror stories of needles breaking off in fighting pigs. Spooked me, I suppose. I copies your guidance to my notes for future use. Thanks again!

Latest posts