Could my goats be pregnant?

aisha3789

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I got two new does and the owner didnt have much information to offer other than they were raised in a large herd. I have had them 17 days and neither has shown any signs of being in heat. I know they come in heat about every 21 days so i have been waiting but no tail wagging, no excess crying, etc etc. I am wondering if they may already be pregnant. If they are its too early to tell any obvious signs.
I also have a young buck who is about 8 months old who constantly tries to mate with them (kicking with front legs, tongue wagging, licking urine, etc) but they refuse.
I was thinking if he is trying then maybe they are not pregnant but he is young so maybe he is just doing it to any female.
What do you think?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If they aren't pregnant now, they will be if you leave the buck with them. Unless that's your goal, remove the buck and keep him away from them. What breed and how old are the two does? I can't remember from your previous posts so easier to just ask than go searching...

After posting I saw your location and remembered you don't have a breed common to "over here"... I don't know what the breeding season is for the goats over there... Is there another person or family near you that has goats that you can work with/ask for help? If those does were in with a herd and there was a buck there, and they came into heat, they would have been bred if they were in heat.

I think young bucks often do what yours is doing. Think "teenage boy"...

Last edited:

aisha3789

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If they aren't pregnant now, they will be if you leave the buck with them. Unless that's your goal, remove the buck and keep him away from them. What breed and how old are the two does? I can't remember from your previous posts so easier to just ask than go searching...

After posting I saw your location and remembered you don't have a breed common to "over here"... I don't know what the breeding season is for the goats over there... Is there another person or family near you that has goats that you can work with/ask for help? If those does were in with a herd and there was a buck there, and they came into heat, they would have been bred if they were in heat.

I think young bucks often do what yours is doing. Think "teenage boy"...
The does are some cross of Tedda/Barbari which is similar to Alpine goats minus the heavy milk production. One is 2 years old and the other is over 1 year old. Now is their ideal breeding season so they kid in spring. I am thinking the same as you that if they were around male goats before they are probably pregnant and also that the boy is like a teenage boy lol. Many people here said he is too young but I have seen him try to mount her and all the parts can connect lol. I definitely want them to be bred but maybe i am impatient

Latest posts