Could one goat be fine alone for a few months?

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to having goats and not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but a friend of mine is giving me a goat she rescued it's a Nigerian dwarf nanny, fortunately she can't keep it she has to many nannies. So my question is will she be fine by herself until I buy more goats? Thank you!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not ideal. Why doesn't your friend give you two?
As far as rescue- beware.

Many rescues end up being a complete nightmare... what exactly was she rescued from? Do you know?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree about being cautious about a rescue.

I was just telling someone yesterday about my very first goat 35 years ago. She was an only goat at my in-laws and she was lame. My DH said we were taking her if they weren't go to treat her foot; so she came home with us, in the back of our truck, with my Dalmatian. We had no pen, no feed, no fences. Nothing. We tied her out, soaked her foot, and we had a goat. We even used to put her in the dog kennel with the dogs and she would chase them out of their house. I had no clue that the dogs could hurt her, they never did. I had no idea about coyotes either. I also didn't know that we should own more than one goat. GiGi lived as an only goat for well over a year and she seemed fine. When we moved we found her a home at a church camp, they bred her, she had triplets and she lived a happy long life.

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok I will ask her if she can give me two, thanks and she was rescued from a house people left her at. She's very friendly, she won't be alone for long maybe couple months! Thank you! :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe your friend could loan you the second one until you get one of your own.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd keep just one just my opinion but two look better in the pasture. But if u like the look of two you'll like the look of three even better and so the herd grows

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are herd animals, so a second goat is recommended. She will be much happier with a companion. If your friend has another ready to retire, that might be easiest, but there are generally wethers to found reasonably inexpensively if you need to find one.