Could this be caused by ear mites (picture)

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of red spots on the ear of one of my does about a week ago. I have kept an eye on her and I have seen a couple more. I put mineral oil in her ears yesterday and today. I have been reading about ear mites today and from what I understand they start way down inside the ear and work their way up. When I look down into her ears with a flashlight all I see is healthy looking pink flesh as far as I can see. The only thing I can think of is I just trimmed her claws last week and maybe the rough edges have caused this when she scratches her ears. I have seen her shake her head occasionally as I have seen all my rabbits shake their heads occasionally. Not like something is really bothering them badly. I have screens on my windows but there are usually a few flies in my shed but they usually seem more interested in the manure pans than the rabbits. Any help appreciated.

DSC02629.jpg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
That does not look like ear mites to me. I think you're right when you guessed scratched by her nails (the injury on the bottom left looks especially like a scratch), or it could be flies (supposedly they are more attracted to white animals).

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks mysunwolf, anybody else seen anything like this. Flies are possible, but I have hardly any in there. Like I said, they seem more interested in the manure pans than the rabbits. And it is only the one rabbit.

CDC

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a doe that has ear mites right now...I noticed the same thing on her ears a little while before I spotted the ear mite problem. Although I don't think that it was caused by the ear mites directly I wonder if it wasn't caused by her scratching due to ear mites that hadn't shown up yet.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A distinct possibility. I am going to keep up the mineral oil regimen to completion. It isn't that big a deal. This is a friendly doe and she comes to the cage door to be petted and I just squirt some in with an eyedropper. Got to be quick to start massaging it around before she tries to shake it out though. Thanks for the response CDC.

CDC

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
no problem. I wish my doe would be that easy. She sees me coming with the eye dropper and wants no part of it.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
CDC, do you have a photo of the ear mites? All the photos I've seen look awful and obvious, it would be nice to find one that showed a moderate infestation.

CDC

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a picture except for extreme cases either. I would take a picture of mine but I have been treating her and there really isn't any sign of them anymore. I will say that it is pretty obvious. If you start seeing scabs forming inside the ear at the base of the ear it is ear mites.

Latest posts