Could this be coccidiosis?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have several young kids, two weeks old. It has been quite a while since I’ve had a baby die on me. This is what I’ve been seeing recey. I have access to an endless source of dried sweet whey. I started using the sweet whey about a week and a half ago. My babies and young kids absolutely love the reconstituted whey. I did slowly switch them to this. I did mix it with what I was using. Their coats look good, they are growing really good, good famacha. But after the third day of giving whey, 100% whey, my goats started having diarrhea. Last night, one of my pens, the doelings didn’t take their bottle. Other than looking hungry this morning they didn't have scouring, or dirty bottoms. This last week I suddenly lost two baby bucklings over a one week period. The two were Very active, healthy appetites, and playing hard. But, when I went out for the next feed I’ve found each one of these two very lethargic and limp. They didn’t appear to be bloated, even though I did treat them for that.

This might not have been proper protocol but I brought each in when they were in distress. I tried stimulating them, rubbing them alot, giving a little heat dispit them not being cold, gave some pepto bismal, and biomycin. This didn’t save them. It occurred to me last night that this could be coccidiosis. I did start the Corid this morning and will do it for five days. I should add that the feed pellets are non-medicated. Could coccidiosis be the reason the two bucklings died on me?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I"m confused. Are you feeding them whey instead of milk? I've never heard of this, but would suspect that they need whole milk - not a milk by product. After a quick google search I discovered that there is only 2 % protein in whey where goat milk has around 9%.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Th
I think I"m confused. Are you feeding them whey instead of milk? I've never heard of this, but would suspect that they need whole milk - not a milk by product. After a quick google search I discovered that there is only 2 % protein in whey where goat milk has around 9%.
Thank you. I hadn’t realized that about the percentage of protein. I knew it wasn’t the best for them. But it’s what I have access to when I was running out of kid milk replacer. I do know that many in here feel that whole cows Or goats milk is best. But I can’t afford six gallons of whole Milk from the store everyday. Nor have I had any problems with the brand I buy. Things got really tight. I do plan on buying more of the kid formula tomorrow and gradually switching them back to the better stuff.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just looked at the bag for protein percentage. The whey I’m using has 11%. Since they are gaining height and weight, could it be coccidiosis that caused my two baby goats to die suddenly? I do not believe it to be pneumonia or bloat. But, I’m not as experienced as many if not most people in this group. I don’t want to treat for coccidiosis if a few others don’t believe it likely.
image.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's 11% in it's dried form. I have to assume that when you dilute it with water that the resulting product is no longer 11%. If you suspect coccidia you'll need fecal confirmation.