Country Companion feeds

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's not a one-page site. At least it isn't now. It doesn't have a full menu, just the hamburger menu like you see on mobile sites. That being said, I can't find the manufacturer. Do you know who makes it? I'm trying to get away from Purina.
I don't know what you have against Purina but they make feed for lots of other companies. The feeds they make for other companies are made to the specifications those companies have designated.

Purina makes both good and poor quality feeds. The price of the feed is a partial indication of the quality you can expect with cheaper feed being poorer quality.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use some expensive feeds to feed as a supplement to hay only in some groups, to be sure the get proteins & vit/min needs met. It's something from horse days 🤣. But they only get/need small amount...like 1/4-1/2 cup. Still cost effective even tho I gasp at $40 a bag, $1 a pound.

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know what you have against Purina but they make feed for lots of other companies. The feeds they make for other companies are made to the specifications those companies have designated.

Purina makes both good and poor quality feeds. The price of the feed is a partial indication of the quality you can expect with cheaper feed being poorer quality.
I read forum posts earlier this year from folks having egg production issues they thought might be tied to the Purina feed they were using, as they reported egg laying increased when they switched to a different brand.

I seek out smaller mills and lower prices while maintaining the proper balance of nutrients. I spend a lot of time reading labels. I have nothing against Purina, but they have widespread name recognition and I believe they price their goods accordingly.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read forum posts earlier this year from folks having egg production issues they thought might be tied to the Purina feed they were using, as they reported egg laying increased when they switched to a different brand.

I seek out smaller mills and lower prices while maintaining the proper balance of nutrients. I spend a lot of time reading labels. I have nothing against Purina, but they have widespread name recognition and I believe they price their goods accordingly.
That was going around last year. One has to take in to account that chickens lay differently at different times of the year - Just working through a bag and then switching brands is enough time to get into a different laying cycle. FWIW I feed both Purina and the TSC (which is also made by Purina) and have not noticed a difference in laying. Over the years it's all about the same. And I can always count on my chickens not to provide eggs for Christmas baking (which is why I'm freezing eggs now for later).
Everyone will feed what they think is best for their situation.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

The problem is that they make both good and poor feeds. People that were having the issues were not using the good feeds.

Their quality feeds are priced similar to other quality feeds. Their poor feeds are priced similar to other poor feeds.