Court convicts raw milk farmer on appeal

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That was merely given as an example of an act of civil disobedience that helped bring about a change in the law. No one was discussing race relations per se. Same thing with Henry David Thoreau, his act of civil disobedience didn't have anything to do with raw milk either. They were merely given as examples of some historical figures that used civil disobedience as a means to get laws changed that they felt violated their rights, whatever rights those may have been.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Sign a petition, write your congressman, stage a protest, run for public office, support a foundation set up to fight the law...there are a lot of legal steps you can take to get where you want.

Let us remember too that this article is about a Canadian farmer and Canadian laws. True that American laws are just as crazy on the issue, but let's try not to confuse the fact that we're talking about 2 different countries here.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is true. I'm not advocating civil disobedience in all instances. Only as a last resort :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
How about a cow or goat in every back yard?

Laws are about buying and selling raw milk. I've not heard of one (yet) that says you cannot consume raw milk harvested from your own animal. If a great number of people had a home milk animal and were consuming raw milk, then wouldn't you think that would make a statement?

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
How about a cow or goat in every back yard?

Laws are about buying and selling raw milk. I've not heard of one (yet) that says you cannot consume raw milk harvested from your own animal. If a great number of people had a home milk animal and were consuming raw milk, then wouldn't you think that would make a statement?
it does, and continues to... but a cow producing 5 gallons a day is not in most folks plans, and certainly not possible if you live in most towns. so... cowsharing was introduced. a farmer sells shares of the cow to 5-10 people - these folks actually own the cow as a partnership. the farmer provides board and care - tends and feeds and milks the cow, and the people who own the cow get a percentage of her milk based on how much of her they own. the cow-share-partners can come to the farm and pick up their milk, or the milk can be delivered to a central location (usually an in-town business of some sort) where it's kept refrigerated until they can come pick it up.
and that'd be where the farmer making the delivery, or the cow-share-owners picking up milk from a cow *they*own* are arrested. for interstate commerce in a controlled substance.
yep, right here in the US. because *some* of the cow owners lived in a different state than the cow. and you can't sell raw milk across state lines, it's a federal offence. and apparently you also can't collect milk from your own cow if it lives in another state.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I know what milk shares are. And personally I would avoid them due to current regulations in place, such as those you mentioned. Again, it's been highly publicized - stories of interstate milk sales being illegal...so why risk it. That's my opinion.

Not every breed of cattle produces such a large volume of milk. A little research on the matter and families would be able to find a suitable home milker for their needs. There is also the option of goats. You want to consume raw milk...own a dairy animal (actually own it and care for it). Your neighbor wants some raw milk - convince him/her to buy a dairy animal.

There will always be more than one way to accomplish something.

Mainstream citizens are so FAR REMOVED from their food...and therein lies the base of the problem in my opinion. I'm sure everyone here at some point has been told "I only buy eggs/ meat from the store"....right? Those people have NO IDEA. And those are the people who are voting to elect officials who vote to make raw milk illegal. Start by educating your neighbors. That's my 2cents.

redtailgal

Reaction score
zzGypsy said:
... but a cow producing 5 gallons a day is not in most folks plans, and certainly not possible if you live in most towns.
This is a very true statement. The vast majority of people would not want a cow in the backyard. They would not know what to do with it if they had it, not how to feed it, care for it or even get the milk OUT of the cow.

I was at the gorcery store a couple years ago, and a lady told me that the green beans were on sale. When I didnt respond with enthusiasm, she asked if I didnt like green beans. When I told her that I LOVE green beans, but I can my own out of my garden, she was appalled. She told me that she CHOOSES to get hers from the grocery store........because they are fresher than the ones that have been sitting in my basment all winter. The grocery stores have to restock their canned goods every week.

My neice asked me to plant her some chicken nuggets and cheesburgers in my garden. My 30 year old brother didnt know that potatoes grow under the ground or that a cow had to be bred to produce milk. One of the new neighbors once called the police because the cows were "having sex in clear view of passers by". seriously.

THIS is the reason that we cannot buy raw milk. Because it is not the "norm", not the "easy way", not the "sensible" way anymore. Its quicker and eaiser to go the the grocery store and get the processed foods, than to grow and produce our own foods. This laziness has led to a bunch of uneducated sheep-like people........who see our government at the shepherd.

Society has gone from "lets work hard to provide for ourselves and protect ourselves" to the new improved "let's find the easy way to do everything, and let the goverment decide what may or may not possibly be dangerous.......AND lets ask them to make laws to protect us so we dont even have to think for ourselves anymore!"

Why is it illegal to sell raw milk? Because most people just DONT CARE. The reaction is "yeah? so? just go to the gorcery store and get some, times are modern now......we dont have to milk the cow anymore"

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It is true that many don't have a clue. But for those that do and due to circumstance can't grow there own, hiring a person to do it for them shouldn't be illegal. Ultimately, and no matter which food product we choose to slide into this argument, that is the heart of the matter.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
zzGypsy said:
... but a cow producing 5 gallons a day is not in most folks plans, and certainly not possible if you live in most towns.
This is a very true statement. The vast majority of people would not want a cow in the backyard. They would not know what to do with it if they had it, not how to feed it, care for it or even get the milk OUT of the cow.

I was at the gorcery store a couple years ago, and a lady told me that the green beans were on sale. When I didnt respond with enthusiasm, she asked if I didnt like green beans. When I told her that I LOVE green beans, but I can my own out of my garden, she was appalled. She told me that she CHOOSES to get hers from the grocery store........because they are fresher than the ones that have been sitting in my basment all winter. The grocery stores have to restock their canned goods every week.

My neice asked me to plant her some chicken nuggets and cheesburgers in my garden. My 30 year old brother didnt know that potatoes grow under the ground or that a cow had to be bred to produce milk. One of the new neighbors once called the police because the cows were "having sex in clear view of passers by". seriously.

THIS is the reason that we cannot buy raw milk. Because it is not the "norm", not the "easy way", not the "sensible" way anymore. Its quicker and eaiser to go the the grocery store and get the processed foods, than to grow and produce our own foods. This laziness has led to a bunch of uneducated sheep-like people........who see our government at the shepherd.

Society has gone from "lets work hard to provide for ourselves and protect ourselves" to the new improved "let's find the easy way to do everything, and let the goverment decide what may or may not possibly be dangerous.......AND lets ask them to make laws to protect us so we dont even have to think for ourselves anymore!"

Why is it illegal to sell raw milk? Because most people just DONT CARE. The reaction is "yeah? so? just go to the gorcery store and get some, times are modern now......we dont have to milk the cow anymore"
BigAmen.jpg

You
hammer.gif

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If the people that were interested weren't legally discouraged at every turn maybe it would be able to grow in popularity.

Did you know more 8 yr old girls are hitting early puberty than ever? If only it were publicized that the hormones & chemicals used in modern farming were very much to blame more people might show some interest. Instead special interest groups taint most of the studies & medical advice. How many pediatricians do you think recommend feeding raw milk to your kids or your own farm milk to help prevent early onset puberty? Even the laws stating what is able to be considered organic vary widely. I don't recall my pediatrician ever giving information on food additives to us & how to avoid them. GMO food items are also pretty scary. Diet is really key to good health and somehow it keeps on getting harder & harder to be able to buy or afford healthy food. Now it seems they are trying to make it impossible to even grow your own. Hmmm, wonder if all the money that is being made on prescription drugs & medical care may have something to do with that...They only have enough money somehow to ADVERTISE prescription drugs in magazines & on TV. The only thing that ticks me off more than that is a big oil company advertising how great they are because they are trying to clean up the mess they made.