Court convicts raw milk farmer on appeal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
There are those of us (and I use the term generically) that choose to work within the law to accomplish the end result and those that take on the law and violate it to make a statement. I suppose both are necessary to accomplish the end result.

I do not view the outlook of our country so dimly though. We live, we learn and we grow. One of the things we need to learn is that we are over regulating ourselves and once we get that through our thick heads then the rest will follow.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
There are those of us (and I use the term generically) that choose to work within the law to accomplish the end result and those that take on the law and violate it to make a statement. I suppose both are necessary to accomplish the end result.

I do not view the outlook of our country so dimly though. We live, we learn and we grow. One of the things we need to learn is that we are over regulating ourselves and once we get that through our thick heads then the rest will follow.
Amen sister!!! And I don't necessarily view everything negatively. I'm just trying to get the point across. There are still many positives about this country & I love it dearly which is why this disappoints me so....

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can buy raw milk in Texas--with some restrictions:
Texas law authorizes the Texas Department of Health to regulate the grading and labeling of milk and milk products. Under the Departments current regulations, Grade A raw milk may be sold by the producer directly to the consumer only at the point of production, i.e., at the farm. 25 TAC 217.32. The Department staff has interpreted the regulation to require that each customer drive to the farm each and every time the customer wishes to purchase milk.
Texas HB75, a bill that would allow farmers to sell raw milk off premises has died this legislative session. The main points of the proposed legislation was/is:
Keep the direct farmer-to-consumer relationship (i.e. no wholesale sales), to ensure that raw dairy is available only to those who intentionally seek it out and that the consumers know the source;
Keep the sanitary requirements for raw dairy;
Remove the unnecessary marketing barrier to the sale of Grade A raw dairy products by allowing farmers to bring raw milk to farmers markets, farm stands, and other agreed-upon locations.

I'm ok with the current law and would be ok with the proposed change if it were to pass.
Ultimately, the responsibility is with the buyer and consumer. Due diligence always falls upon ourselves first, last, and always when it comes to what we choose to ingest.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since it is under the grade "A" system, milk testing would be mandatory. Which really removes the risk if texas testing requirements are as thorough as ours are.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, I don't dislike the law. I dislike the law being used as a means to make money rather than as a means to protect the people as it was originally intended. Any time you look at one of these "safety" laws look at who makes the money based on the law. You see how dangerous GMO's are showing to be, but they're still in a very large percentage of products without being labeled. Why? Probably because someone stands to make a whole lot of money.

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Please make sure this thread stays on topic and civil.

Please do not fight and squabble. If you want to participate in this thread, please do so in a civil manner. Otherwise dead horse beating is rather tiresome.

This is an important discussion and any off topic content will be removed and any offenders issued a reminder of the rules via our warning system.

I will clean up a bit and give those of you unable to keep on topic a pass this time. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Oh and by the way, I don't dislike the law. I dislike the law being used as a means to make money rather than as a means to protect the people as it was originally intended. Any time you look at one of these "safety" laws look at who makes the money based on the law. You see how dangerous GMO's are showing to be, but they're still in a very large percentage of products without being labeled. Why? Probably because someone stands to make a whole lot of money.
Wow...just wow. Not every company is out to get people. Even if I don't agree fully with a law, I still obide by it. If I break a law openly then, I won't be surprised when they convict me on it.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe we were just asked not to squabble. So why are you picking a fight? I don't believe all companies are greedy. I just think it's funny that when laws are supposedly meant to protect our safety that often that gets overlooked in the name of large companies making money. It is happening more & more frequently. Anyway agree to disagree. I'm done discussing my views with you and the beauty of America is that people fought hard for us to have the freedoms to have our own point of view and to be able to read and digest information that our free press publishes and draw our own conclusions. I could pull up examples to support my point of view but I'd prefer just dropping it at this point. Have a nice day!! :) Going to visit my goat friends who care nothing for this pointless banter...