Cow/calf farming in Canada

UK_CowManMatt

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post here and I hope you don't mind a Brit highjacking your forum to ask a few questions? (and apologies if I've posted this to the wrong place). I have a small suckler cow herd in the UK (what you guys I think call cow/calf pairs). I visited BC and Alberta last year on my honeymoon and I absolutely loved everything about it and since then have been wondering if I could make a go of it farming in Canada. Farm land is so expensive over here and vast swathes are being bought by investors who can easily outbid any farmers who are interested in trying to expand. Obviously a lot of research would be required before making such a move, not to mentioned seeing if I'd be allowed entry etc etc. I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate some help with.

I guess it will depend on system used/land productivity, but is there a general rule of thumb as to how many acres are needed to support yourself/family? Lots of the adverts for farms I see say 'ideal hobby farm' and this might be 150 acres (which wouldn't be considered a hobby farm over here), does this mean it isn't enough to live off? Put another way is there a minimum number of cow/calf pairs needed to live off.

Which are the most productive areas of Canada for grass growth, producing hay/silage and raising cattle?

Am i right in thinking that cows are wintered in large outdoor yards? Is this standard in Canada? as opposed to wintering them in cattle sheds? (which we do mostly over here). I assume therefore that your cattle are significantly more hardy and suitable for outdoor wintering than ours?

Is is common to rent farms in Canada? or do most people buy? Are there many farms available to rent or is buying the best way to go?

I have lots of other questions but I think I've asked enough already!

Any help/advice/links to useful reading would be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Year of the Rooster

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Matt! Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions. But I would like to say welcome to the forum and good luck on your endeavor :D

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am definitely no expert other than I live in BC and lived for 10 years in Alberta. I don't think ranching is for the faint of heart and the cattlemen have had their struggles here over the past years. Most ranches are long-time family run farms that did not have to buy their land at today's prices. Here there is such thing as "grazing leases" which is what a lot of ranches use instead of purchasing land to have your cows graze on...something to look into. Often you will find a farm for sale with 160 acres + 200 acres of grazing lease for example...I don't think you can typically buy new grazing leases but you can buy someone elses - don't quote me on that. Most ranches in BC are also non-irrigated, just wild grassland and then have hay fields that are hayed and stored for winter.

The other thing you mention is "enough to live-off", does that mean for your own consumption needs, ie provide for your own food or make a living off of it. If you want to do strictly cattle I suggest working at a cattle ranch for a summer and see what you can learn. It is a huge comittment and might give you some valuable insight before taking the plunge and moving and sinking your life savings into it.

Farming is difficult here as well, but your best bet would be to investigate some smaller, niche markets instead of trying to compete with the big boys as I don't think it would be possible for the average newbie at regular market prices. However the consumer is slowly starting to change here and there are some opportunities if you are willing to go out and find/educate the consumer on grass-fed, non-commerical meats but it is still an uphill battle. Good luck on your journey!

UK_CowManMatt

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your posts, that is some very useful info. When I said 'enough to live off' I meant make enough money to pay the bills/clothe the kids, rather than just my own consumption needs.

Latest posts