Cow Collars

hooligan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone on here use collars on their cattle?
I was wondering if a belt could be used instead of the usual collars sold for cows...

davidlinchi

Just born
Reaction score
I have noticed about rolled leather dog collars and leashes is the variety of leather they are made of. Now Im from Texas, home of cows and beef and good Ole bull and steer leather. This is the most common type of leather used in leather dog collars and leashes. A lot of them you see for sale online brag about English leather. I dont know what is the difference between an English and a Texas cow, but maybe the English cow has funny teeth and the Texas cow is bigger.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A good old leather belt will work in most cases if it is long enough. But if the cow is having a really bad day or in a panic they are quite capable of snapping a belt.

We halter train all our dairy animals. Easy and cheap to put a rope halter together.

hooligan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have seen several pix of cows wearing collars while out grazing...is it common to let them wear them all the time? I would think they might fall off but I would like to get one for him to wear daily.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
hooligan said:
I have seen several pix of cows wearing collars while out grazing...is it common to let them wear them all the time? I would think they might fall off but I would like to get one for him to wear daily.
Dairy cows wear collars 24/7 with no problems. If they're falling off then they're way too loose.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hooligan said:
Does anyone on here use collars on their cattle?
I was wondering if a belt could be used instead of the usual collars sold for cows...
here is 1 on a holstein calf we bought at a sale,
on a real small one there alright but he out grew it pretty quick
751_p1080224.jpg

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We use halters on all our dairy animals because we get better head control when training them. Also allows a quick clip to the halter going to a back leg if dealing with a kicker.

hooligan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CW, your calf is adorable. I just love Holsteins and if it wasn't for Ferdinand following me when I was at the sale barn I would have probably come home with one :)

I was thinking of getting him a rather cool looking belt for a collar like this one:
f6eb_12.JPG

He wouldn't be able to wear it now but when he's a bit older :p

I have also seen chains, like choke chain for dogs, in the cattle section-anyone ever use these?(

Also, he got his Blackleg vac today and got neutered...grand total $5. My vet even let we watch the procedure-he's awesome.

KStaven,
Do yours wear halters all the time? If so do you ever have any problems with them wearing on the muzzle of the cow and causing sores? Ferdie did well with his halter today-some pulling away but 99% of the time he either followed or lead without pulling. (We were outside the vets office for about an hour waiting so I took advantage of leading him around with it.)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
hooligan said:
CW, your calf is adorable. I just love Holsteins and if it wasn't for Ferdinand following me when I was at the sale barn I would have probably come home with one :)

I was thinking of getting him a rather cool looking belt for a collar like this one:
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/63/64/f6eb_12.JPG

He wouldn't be able to wear it now but when he's a bit older :p

I have also seen chains, like choke chain for dogs, in the cattle section-anyone ever use these?(

Also, he got his Blackleg vac today and got neutered...grand total $5. My vet even let we watch the procedure-he's awesome.

KStaven,
Do yours wear halters all the time? If so do you ever have any problems with them wearing on the muzzle of the cow and causing sores? Ferdie did well with his halter today-some pulling away but 99% of the time he either followed or lead without pulling. (We were outside the vets office for about an hour waiting so I took advantage of leading him around with it.)
I make all our halters from a nylon out sheath cotton core rope. they wear them year round and I have never had an animal get an abrasion from them.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
hooligan said:
They may use chains, but they're not like choke chains. Choke chains tighten up, and you DON"T want your guy to have a collar on that could tighten up and choke him to death.