Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The calf could be dead in utero and she may be trying to expell it with no luck and the fetus could be putting pressure on her hind quarter nerves while in the birth canal. If this is the case a Vet. needs to try to pull this calf whole and /or cut it up and pull the pieces. Another possibility is that this cow slipped and fell down onto the concrete floor and sustained an injury. Also, I would think that this cow is getting insufficient nutrients from the feed she is getting and not enogh of it. Call a Veterinarian ASAP.

monongahela gal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas.

She went into labor today soon after I called the vet. She was't straining hardly at all, the vet came after the contractions had pushed the front feet out. She helped me pull the calf (my first time) which was a healthy bull. After looking the cow over she said it didn't look like milk fever but she gave her some calcium and CMPK anyway. The vet said we should give her more grain and keep turning her over. Her milk hadn't come in yet so i went into town and got some Land'o'lakes powdered colostrum and some milk replacer for the calf, he drank a bottle of the colostrum stuff is up and around. We penned the calf away from the cow incase she tries to get up again and falls on him.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas.

She went into labor today soon after I called the vet. She was't straining hardly at all, the vet came after the contractions had pushed the front feet out. She helped me pull the calf (my first time) which was a healthy bull. After looking the cow over she said it didn't look like milk fever but she gave her some calcium and CMPK anyway. The vet said we should give her more grain and keep turning her over. Her milk hadn't come in yet so i went into town and got some Land'o'lakes powdered colostrum and some milk replacer for the calf, he drank a bottle of the colostrum stuff is up and around. We penned the calf away from the cow incase she tries to get up again and falls on him.
Congrats on the calf. Hope mama improves.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad she calved out good and has a healthy calf. I also hope she improves. No broken bones or nerve injury then? That's good.

The gradual increase in grain in her ration should help her get her in better shape and strength to get up again. I also stress the better hay as well, and getting it tested. The grain is only good for energy content, but not so much with protein. If she's not getting the protein or even calcium for milk, then you will certainly have to find something, like cotton-seed meal, soybean meal, or another source that is high in protein (preferably 14% for her especially) to also help get her in shape and help with a little milk.

Just out of curiousity, but do you have the label or know the amounts of minerals she's getting, especially calcium and phosphorus?

monongahela gal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was able to get some good second cut hay. The grain we're giving her is 14% protein. The calcium level in the mineral she's getting is 12.25-14.50%. Phosphorus is minimum of 4%.

The mineral mix also has:
Magnesium
Potassium
Iodine
Copper
Cobalt
Selenium
Zinc
Manganese
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Vitamin E

Reactions: TAH

monongahela gal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is not even trying to get up. I think we will probably have to put her down. :(

The calf is doing well though!