Cow dung questions..

Ilovechickens

Just born
Reaction score
You know in old books were they say go and gather "cow chips" or even "buffalo chips". i have cows across my creek that aren't mine but they lay cow patties not chips,where do they get the chips from? do the males lay the chips? cuz some of them do look like chips but 95% are patties.

Ilovechickens

Just born
Reaction score
i don't think they are becuz u can't pick up a pattie but u can pick up a chip.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
chips are just dried out patties. poo is poo. when it gets good and dry you pick it all up like a chip, its really light and dry. makes good fuel for burning. dung beetles tend to bust it up though which is a good thing for the cattle farmer and not such a good thing for the pooper scooper.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yup, I was just picking up some cow chips the other day and throwing them over the fence. But I only get cow chips if the chickens didnt get to them first, as they do a good job of breaking up my cow patties.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes chips an patties are the samething.the cow chips are the dryed patties.an once they are dry you can pick them up.

Ilovechickens

Just born
Reaction score
but i've seen some that are huge roudn patties btu then these little drippings look like chips that are darker and smaller..

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the smaller chips are them messing as their walking.the big piles are when they stand still an mess in 1 spot.