Cow has bare spots on neck that itch.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My cow has crusty bare spots on her neck and eyes. Does anyone have any advice or similar cases?

Any advice is welcome!
Thank You!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the description (crusty) and location, I'd guess ringworm. You can treat it with antifungal cream but I never do. It'll run it's course in 30-60 days and go away, and the animal usually builds a resistance and doesn't have many more problems with it. People that do treat for it, seem to have better luck removing the crusty scabs before applying the cream. Careful--some ringworm is contagious.

If you've seen the animal rubbing (like an itch) may be lice or mites tho I usually only see those in winter here, when they've had their heads stuck in a bale of hay every few hours.

(a picture would be helpful)

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the description (crusty) and location, I'd guess ringworm. You can treat it with antifungal cream but I never do. It'll run it's course in 30-60 days and go away, and the animal usually builds a resistance and doesn't have many more problems with it. People that do treat for it, seem to have better luck removing the crusty scabs before applying the cream. Careful--some ringworm is contagious.

If you've seen the animal rubbing (like an itch) may be lice or mites tho I usually only see those in winter here, when they've had their heads stuck in a bale of hay every few hours.

(a picture would be helpful)

X2.

A picture would help, but it does sound line ringworm.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is new so she doesn't always come up to me or let me touch her. It may be lice cause we do give them hay in the summer.

Thanks

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
calf with a moderate case of ringworm:
ringworm.jpg

(The one immediately behind it has a less serious case of ringworm)
Paste the following into google, then open google images to see a lot more:
"calf with ringworm"

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. She doesn't look like that. You wouldn't notice whatever it is that she has from 30 feet away. I think it must be lice.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. She doesn't look like that. You wouldn't notice whatever it is that she has from 30 feet away. I think it must be lice.
or it could be a case of ringworm just starting out. But i don't have any pictures. I'll see what happens in a few weeks.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
could easily be lice then, or mange mites. There are also some nutritional deficiencies that cause hair loss.
Get out your magnifying glass to look for external parasites.
What does the rest of her hair coat look like--slicked off and shiny or dull and rough looking like someone ran a brush back against the lay of the hair??

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. I will do that as soon a possible!

Thank you again!