cow having a calf and she just ate a rubber glove

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
help...
My cow is having her calf and she just ate a rubber glove.... what should I do for this?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Did she calve?

I hope some one comes on here, with a better idea than mine!

If it were one of my animals, I would just watch her close, and pray she passes it, or coughs it up when she tries to chew it up as her cud!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have also read about cows eating rubber gloves on other boards, and it seemed like in most cases the cow passed it just fine. But if in doubt, call your vet!

Good luck...and post photos of your new baby when you can!

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi.. Yes she had the calf and it is fine!!!

Now, we've helped it onto it's feet and waiting for it to nurse.. The calf is finding the teat but momma keeps moving...

No sign of the glove..... I will watch her and hope it passes..

This is our first calf. It's cold and snowy tonight and we have them in the barn.. I hope it will be warm enough

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Yea! A new baby!

Is this the mamas first calf?

I don't know anything about Colorado cold, but if mine are pretty much dry and not showing signs of feeling the cold, I try to give them some alone time, until morning.
I also take a mental picture of the udder, even if only one quarter looks smaller the next morning, things are "usually" just fine!

I say usually, because each cow seems to have a mind of her own!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new calf.

Watch momma to see if she passes the glove. You should see it in her manure within the next couple days. If not call your vet. I think you will be seeing it.

The calf will be fine if kept in a dry and draft free enviroment. They tolerate the cold really well. Just make sure it is eating. Is this a beef cow? Or a dairy cow you intend to milk? The reasons I'm asking is if your going to hand raise the calf and milk mom, when it gets really cold this winter make sure it gets enough milk/milkreplacer and grain so it has the energy to keep itself warm. Also, do beef usually calve this time of the year by you? Here they have them calving in the spring. That way the cow doesn't have milk in her udder during the cold winter months and the calves grow at a faster weight because they don't have to keep themselves warm. It would be something to think about before you breed her back.

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the good advice...
She has not passed the placenta yet... Does anyone have advice for that?
Calf was born about 8 or 9 last night. I can see part of the umbilical cord hanging out.

Still no glove either... :/

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
she should pass the afterbirth in a day or 2.but if you want you can give her a bucket of warm water an see if thatll help her cleanout.

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Got another question for the professionals here...
She is a dairy cow.. How soon should I start milking her. Her utter is quite large and swollen right now... I was told by some other people to start milking her now... But not to keep the milk for the first 3 days.

Also how many times a day should I milk her now?