Cow Limping - Breeding Injury

skeleroo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my girls is in heat and the bull has been doing his thing. They've had a few calves together and I've never had any issues post mating, but I just noticed my cow is limping on one of her back legs. I called the vet but he hasn't returned my call yet and I'm just not sure what to do.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my girls is in heat and the bull has been doing his thing. They've had a few calves together and I've never had any issues post mating, but I just noticed my cow is limping on one of her back legs. I called the vet but he hasn't returned my call yet and I'm just not sure what to do.
Well, can you separate them? She needs to have feed and water close so that she doesn't have to walk much, and no bull so she isn't bothered.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How bad is she limping? She could just have stepped on a stone while he was riding her, might have a bruise, he might have been rough and she could have bruised a muscle.... She ought to be out of heat within 24 hours, if not already. Agree that if possible, to separate... but if the bull could go through the fence then might not be a good idea. She will probably be better off by herself... give it a day or 2 unless it is a severe limp. Let's face it, a 1500 lb or more bull is going to be heavy even for a amture cow of 12-1400 lbs.... if he is a rough breeder then he can hurt her....and some bulls do get rougher with age but some do not.... Once she goes out of heat he will leave her alone..... it depends on how badly she is limping and all....But yes, separating would definitely not hurt and she could use the break; then assess the limp.