Cow pregnant and in heat.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not to much here. Lots of Herefords, Simmental, and Angus for beef and dairy is Holstein, Jersey, and getting to see more of the Belteds scattered around.

There used to be a registry for the Blue and White Holsteins but, that has gone by the wayside now, from what I understand.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
The smaller dairy herds here are using Linebacks for cleanup breeding-- much as they used to use Angus years ago. It seems that Lineback semen settles the problem cows quicker. In my skewed view, I wonder if the Lineback semen just isn't as diluted as much as the Holstein's.
Also the Lineback registry will grant registration to any animal with a definitive white line on its back, so it's fairly easy to acquire a *registered* herd quickly.
Is all this a good thing? Shrugs who knows? And I've strayed far from the topic. my apologies.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well the vet had thought Lucy was bred to the date that would put her due in Sept. The breeder thought she was due by the Oct. breeding which, would put her due later this month (7/22).

Guess who was right..............

Lucy7-5-2009.jpg

Abby is also due later this month. We got them in plus two more due this month. Look what we discovered with Abby.

Abby7-5-2009.jpg

Yes, she's still pregnant.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you have to fine looking springers there.yall better go ahead an start milking abby now.leaking like she is she could come down with a bad case of mastitis.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Just wondering, would bringing her in, cause her to start letting down her milk?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Just wondering, would bringing her in, cause her to start letting down her milk?
No, she was already leaking when we brought her in. Also, just bringing her in shouldn't cause her to leak. Sometimes the hormones are just screwy.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
thewife said:
No, she was already leaking when we brought her in. Also, just bringing her in shouldn't cause her to leak. Sometimes the hormones are just screwy.
I know sometimes if I have a cow that is standing nicely for her calf to drink, and the calf hasn't a clue what to do, the milk will start pouring like that!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Farmer Kitty said:
thewife said:
I know sometimes if I have a cow that is standing nicely for her calf to drink, and the calf hasn't a clue what to do, the milk will start pouring like that!
Yeah but, she's had her calf. Abby hasn't had her's yet.

Armando

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello my name is Armando! I have a cow that last year was 6 months bred, nevertheless she came in heat and the bull get his way with her. I was surprised confuse because she deliver a healthy bull calf. Now she is same 5 months bred and yesterday was in heat again is tis dangerous for my cow or even worse can have double pregnancies?