Cow Treats?

hooligan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, so horses are priviliged to have their own types of treats...but can cows eat those too?
I have heard that sheep can not eat them due to the copper content but wasn't sure what other farm animals couldn't...anyone know?

mommy_2_parks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't know anything about horse or sheep treats, but my cows love range cubes. They will try to get into our coat pockets to get them. :rolleyes:

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Range cubes, or just plain old grain that they like. I would also guess that if they like horse treats, they would be fine too. Just make sure to limit them so they are actually treats. Children who have unlimited access to candy or ice cream soon cease to consider it anything special. Cows are somewhat like children in this sense.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Apples, greens and some vegetables work, too. I just make sure to cut the pieces into small enough chunks that they won't choke, especially with apples and squash. Ours get swiss chard, spinach, kale, quartered apples, chunked squash, zucchini and pumpkin, etc. They also love grain, but beware the molasses content, as grain can make otherwise docile animals into spoiled, hard to manage monsters.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We routinely let our cows glean the windfall apples from under our trees. They eat them whole, and we've never had any problem with them choking. They pick up a whole apple, raise their heads into the air and chomp down. The juice sometimes runs down their chins and they get a heavenly expression on their faces. Funny to watch.

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine loooovvveee bread. I don't give but a slice to each one and usually stuff like whole wheat, 12 grain, those kinds. We get the bread for free so makes for a good treat for my chickens and such.

Sara

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our cows love bread items as well. Sometimes my father-in-law brings home rolls home from where he works and the cows think they have hit the lottery.

My son's show heifer loves carrots, apples, bananas. She's not afraid to eat. lol

Nicki

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have tried several types of vegetables as well as horse treats and none of my cows will touch them but they do love bread.

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I made horse treats, and I fed them to our milk cow, our goats and what ever else! After that Betsy ( the milk cow ) would wait for me to come!!!

purecountrycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Has anybody ever heard of giving your beef cow a beer once a day? I heard about it and they say it relieves stress and you will get better marbling meat.