cow with goats - pasture question

overrun

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought my first cow. She is a Jersey for family milk production. I have goats and have over the years even tried to encourage weeds to keep them happy. I am fairly sure that there may be some things that the cow would not benefit from eating in the goat pasture. With my goats I do not have to worry much as they turn their noses up at dangerous foods after sampling a bite but I am not sure the cow would be as bright. I have other land I can graze her on but I would rather put her in with the goats if it is safe so that she will not be lonely. Is a 5 year old cow raised on pasture smart enough to avoid dangerous foods or should I protect her from herself by grazing her where there is just grass?

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I can't help you but I have been thinking about the same thing how well would a cow and goat get along on the same pasture, minerals, hay, etc.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that cows and goats CAN be pastured together, but as far as cattle knowing what's good for them and what isn't, there's a chance that that may not happen. Like goats, cattle like to sample everything in their path, good or bad. I have known cattle to leave and not eat any plants that taste bitter or bad to them. But that's not going out and saying that they're going to be like goats where they know that dangerous plants are dangerous and leave them be. So I think it would be safer to put the cow in another pasture with just grass. You may want to consider, though, put a few of your goats in there with her to keep her company. You don't have to have the entire goat herd in there (though I have no idea how many goats you have) there's nothing wrong with putting a couple of goat-friends in with your cow.

Sasmith

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've never seen any problems between cows and goats. Is there a specific plant/s you're worried about the cow eating?

Latest posts