Cow with hoof rot

fancifran

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 5 yr old angus cow with hoof rot, she is out on pasture , I applied coppertox to her foot,She is a mile from home so getting her up to a chute isnt an option, and vaccinating her with la isnt really an option either, can I give her antibiotic in her water bucket, she isnt moving much and she will drink water from the bucket, if I want to use this method how many tablespoons/ tsp per gallon? I am using duramyacin.Should I use the 200mg solution or 400? Thanks for h your advice,

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar problem this summer. The ONLY thing that worked was to get the cow restrained, and I used Excede, which is a fairly new antibiotic that lasts a week. Don't wait too long, or you will either lose the cow, or you will need to repeat the treatment. I waited too long and had to treat mine twice, but she was VERY bad. My cow had twins, and they and the cow began losing weight, so I sold the calves. Did well on them---$575 each for 313lb calves, and the cow did better when they were done dragging her down. Whatever you do, do it quickly. Good luck!

fancifran

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, I have flushed the foor with Koppertox, which is a liquid bandage and antiseptic etc, and gome sulfa pills, and terramyacin in her, the swelling is already reduced, Gave her some sweet feed which she loves, she only has the one calf and she is on pasture too, Rainy has lost some weight, but I am hopeful she will improve, I havent heard of excede yet??? Vets here say to use eddi's iodide salt, koppertox for the foot and a long acting antibiotic like la 200, of course this is for youe home remedies, Lucky Rainy is a very fat cow, so she can stand to lose some weight. I will keep excede in mind. Out of curiousity what sex were your twins? and how often do you have them?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Both these twins were bulls. My cattle have 10 - 15% twins each year. I really don't like twins too much. I'd rather have one really good calf, and twins are never quite as big or look as good as a good single. Also, the cow usually is a month or more later to calve the following year.

Excede is a fairly new antibiotic. It is administered with a special needle behind the ear, with the point of the needle pointing at the eye on the opposite side of the head. If I remember correctly, my 100CC bottle cost $210. It does work well on footrot, pneumonia, and many other diseases. Lasts a week.

Here is a link: http://www.draxxin.com/draxxin.aspx?drug=dr&species=BF&sec=440

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Also sold as excennel.

It has a cotton seed carrier base so be very careful when using it. A number of people including a vet or two have ended up on hospital after accidentally poking themselves with the needle.

fancifran

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Also sold as excennel.

It has a cotton seed carrier base so be very careful when using it. A number of people including a vet or two have ended up on hospital after accidentally poking themselves with the needle.
This is very good to know,I did some research on it last night, but didnt see that part.I did see the part where they talked about hitting an artery in the ear, how many cc's do you use per hundredweight???

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Administer by subcutaneous injection at the dosage of 0.5 to 1.0 mg ceftiofur equivalents/lb (1.1 to 2.2 mg/kg) body weight (1 to 2 mL sterile suspension per 100 lb body weight).

It is very site specific for the injection so make sure you hit the right spot. If you're not sure then get some one with experience to show you.

Improper administration may result in dangerous residues in edible tissues and/or milk.