Cowboy - It Doesn't Get Better Than This!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some rescues that do LGD's in Texas right? Sorry... I'm not a die hard pro rescue type but sometimes I worry those reading this forum (you know, those unregistered ones) think we all think it's a great idea to breed dogs because we want one puppy. Not saying anyone's encouraging it, or that FEM shouldn't, I'm just over here hiding under my chair... Please be kind:hide

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd never be never mean to you! :)

Just my 2cents on the rescue subject:

I would love for there to be a happy ending for every rescue LGD. But, sometimes there are fails in the LGD world (I might even go so far as to say from bad placements!) and those dogs might be better off in a pet home (which is what most of the rescues want anyway).:\

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When the time comes, I will search the Pyr and Toli as well as working dog rescues for proven working dogs. But if there's a possibility that a known BYH member with LGD's "might" be having pups, well, you can't blame a guy for asking can ya? Especially when said member posts often about how good said LGDs are. :idunno

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not that I wouldn't do that jaunt again... in a HEART beat Bruce, for the right reason(s). :D Not scared of a long drive at all!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some rescues that do LGD's in Texas right? Sorry... I'm not a die hard pro rescue type but sometimes I worry those reading this forum (you know, those unregistered ones) think we all think it's a great idea to breed dogs because we want one puppy. Not saying anyone's encouraging it, or that FEM shouldn't, I'm just over here hiding under my chair... Please be kind:hide
I understand what you are saying. Many here have/do breed their dogs. I do think it's a little silly to breed a dog because you want to keep only one pup. If you had plans to keep several pups I can see why one would. (I could see FEM keeping a few :plbb )
Sadly I'm seeing more and more newbies planing to get LGD's so that they can breed them. :( It makes me sad, but it's getting more and more common. People aren't taking into account the temperament of the parent stock, and have parent stock that either aren't around livestock or don't behave around them.

You'd be shocked how many people just want colorful LGD's to breed, along with all the issues above.

I'm not against breeding dogs in general- just against irresponsible breeding. Hopefully those lurking understand that most of us here are like this.

(obviously none of this applies to you FEM- just rambling lol)