Cowboy - It Doesn't Get Better Than This!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have certainly enjoyed hearing everyone's point of view. Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to have a Maddie/Cowboy puppy - but only if she SWORE that she would only have one pup - okay TWO, lol. One for me and one for LS! But, I already have a potential new pup in the works that might require one of those long drives! (or an airplane ride for the pup)

I also have no problem with responsible breeders - if not for them I wouldn't have the two wonderful LGD's that I have right now.

Now, off to the TSC website to pick a strong, solid new kennel! :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
wow... that's pretty impressive/destructive "wanna get some" behavior... :confused::barnie

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cowboy got his comeuppance today, lol. And, it was about time. He's always been very good about letting the chickens eat his food...(I'm not sure what's good about it - but he lets 'em). Maddie, on the other hand, won't defer to anything but the horses when it comes to her food. Cowboy, however, WILL chase the horses away from his food. It can be a crazy mixed up mess around here at feeding time, lol. We figured our pretty early on that it's best to bring one of the dogs into another area at feeding time and that works pretty well. Snack time is another thing altogether.

Boiled eggs - who doesn't love them? The chickens love them, the pigs love them, the dogs love them... Yesterday I took a bunch of boiled eggs out to distribute between a variety of critters. Dogs were underfoot...nothing Maddie loves more than an egg. Cowboy was being a pest so I stuck one in his mouth and tossed one to Maddie who was about 6 feet away from me. Oh My Gosh! Cowboy took great offense to Maddie getting an egg and he exploded. Literally cleared that six feet on one jump and landed right on top of Maddie who was facing the other way. He knocked her onto her back in the water and mud and it was ON!

Now...it was unfair from the start. Maddie never saw what was coming and before she could react she was upside down in the mud, so I tried to intervene. Cowboy was NOT listening to me so I took the only thing I had on hand, which was a bag of boiled eggs, and bopped him over the head, lol. Didn't faze him at all...so I did it again. At that point the plastic grocery bag rips and boiled eggs are flying everywhere. Two bops on the head with boiled eggs was enough for Cowboy - so the fight is over and egg eating commences.

Fast forward to today. Again, I have boiled eggs. I take them to the pigs this time - but Maddie and Cowboy aren't dumb. They see what's going on and high-tail it into the pig pen. This time they were on solid ground and Maddie reached the eggs before Cowboy did. She's already in mid egg-eating when he gets close to an egg. I can see the look in her eyes. She hadn't forgotten yesterday.... She launched herself right at his face! And this time, she didn't back down. She didn't lose her footing. She took out all of her fury on him and while she didn't get him on the ground she turned him around time and time again. He gave up. It was awesome, lol!

I checked them over and there weren't any fatal wounds. Maddie favored one foot for about five minutes and Cowboy's pride was shattered. And, even worse, I fussed at him for getting aggressive with a piglet right after that. He slunk to the other side of the pasture and about 15 minutes later I saw Maddie over there humping him. I laughed right out loud. Maddie has re-claimed her dominance and Cowboy learned that an old dog...never forgets!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my word. That is a lot of excitement! I laughed reading your post, even though I kind of felt bad for Cowboy at the end, lol.

I have an older dog that needs to put my younger dog in her place. Maybe he needs lessons from Maddie!