Cowboy - It Doesn't Get Better Than This!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't updated on Cowboy for awhile....

Today was one of "those" days. Maddie is in heat. Ugh. Previously I put her in the livestock trailer... too hot to do that now. She's on day 8, so no more time to get this figured out. This morning I DID put her in the trailer....that's how I found out it's too hot. Poor girl was panting like crazy. So, I'm thinking that if I can leave her out during the day that she can spend the nights in the trailer. That means I've got to find something to do with Cowboy. This dog! I know that he can climb or dig out of anything so I wondered if I could put him on a chain for a week or so. Don't really like to chain a dog - ever. But, tried it and he was PI$$ED! He kept looking up like "how do I climb out of this chain" thingy. For about 90 minutes he tried to get out of that chain. He tried to chew it. He tried to paw it. He lunged against it. He did everything EXCEPT try to slip his collar. LOL! Got him - right? Nope - he broke the snap. Sooooo, I get a new snap. A brand new brass double ended snap and put that on his collar. Looped it and hooked it twice... hard to explain, but should have been doubley strong. It was. The collar, the brand new, extra large, heavy duty collar wasn't as strong as this dog is. He pulled so hard that the collar came apart. I give up. Maddie is going to live in the breezeway for the next couple weeks.

Only problem - Maddie doesn't WANT to live in the breezeway. She tries to make a break every time we go out the door. This oughta be fun. Seriously thinking about spay... but don't want to spay a 7 year old dog...so I guess I'll just whine about the bitch in heat twice a year!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could always make a diaper for her....but, somehow with one busting collars....I don't think that a piece of cloth is gonna do ya much good.....:gig......too bad ya couldn't give her a couole of hens to watch in the breezeway to keep her guarding thru it to "Occupy" her attention while in there. May be a fall/winter project to get something prepared for the next cycle.....not trying to add to your "List" at all.....merely a suggestion.....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to put Paris in the back yard with a hot wire. She's crazy, Trip goes crazy, it's nuts. Trip sleeps next to the back yard fence and runs from one side to the other. Paris is 10 and I'm seriously considering spay for her. I understand the misery all of you are going through.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
not trying to add to your "List" at all.....merely a suggestion.....:)
I understand. The livestock trailer works great when it's not 103 degrees! It's where she spends most of her 'down' time anyway.

If she does well inside, and so far she is, that might well be the best solution. If not, I'll be making a plan! :)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even looked into this, lol.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/the-creation-of-the-stud-stopper
upload_2017-8-12_21-44-7.png

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't updated on Cowboy for awhile....

Today was one of "those" days. Maddie is in heat. Ugh. Previously I put her in the livestock trailer... too hot to do that now. She's on day 8, so no more time to get this figured out. This morning I DID put her in the trailer....that's how I found out it's too hot. Poor girl was panting like crazy. So, I'm thinking that if I can leave her out during the day that she can spend the nights in the trailer. That means I've got to find something to do with Cowboy. This dog! I know that he can climb or dig out of anything so I wondered if I could put him on a chain for a week or so. Don't really like to chain a dog - ever. But, tried it and he was PI$$ED! He kept looking up like "how do I climb out of this chain" thingy. For about 90 minutes he tried to get out of that chain. He tried to chew it. He tried to paw it. He lunged against it. He did everything EXCEPT try to slip his collar. LOL! Got him - right? Nope - he broke the snap. Sooooo, I get a new snap. A brand new brass double ended snap and put that on his collar. Looped it and hooked it twice... hard to explain, but should have been doubley strong. It was. The collar, the brand new, extra large, heavy duty collar wasn't as strong as this dog is. He pulled so hard that the collar came apart. I give up. Maddie is going to live in the breezeway for the next couple weeks.

Only problem - Maddie doesn't WANT to live in the breezeway. She tries to make a break every time we go out the door. This oughta be fun. Seriously thinking about spay... but don't want to spay a 7 year old dog...so I guess I'll just whine about the bitch in heat twice a year!

Actually she will have less issues being aged 7 - the incidence of cancer that is related too spays is so significant before age 5 - after age five there is far less occurrence.
Mammary tumors are the one thing that could be a problem however you can feel them and they can be removed without issue.

Rita is in her first heat! She is super clean! A little moody though. She went in on July 29th (exactly 11 months old)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually she will have less issues being aged 7 - the incidence of cancer that is related too spays is so significant before age 5 - after age five there is far less occurrence.
That's good to know - thanks for that info!

Ahhhh, Rita is getting all grown up!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, you could always break down and let Cowboy and Maddie have a tryst... :duc:hide I know... :smack:( Just dreaming about a pup from that pairing... :love

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Spent a little time reading these post. I am jealous of course! I can't wait until my goats get here, followed closely by my Maremma male Tarack: Ta-Rack(AKA Freddy). I miss all my goats and definitely miss Tahoe, Yukon(RIP), Jethro and Grub. Life better not have anymore curve balls for me.