Cowboy - It Doesn't Get Better Than This!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok - I have a big decision to make and I'm opening it up for discussion, lol. We're going to have an addition to the family. I've found someone in my area who has AKC registered and working Anatolians. I don't really care about the papers but I do care that they are working dogs. The pups are just over 3 weeks old and I'm second in line to pick. I want a male to work with Maddie so here are the choices:

Pup 1:

blackmale2.jpg

Pup 2:
d-bluemale1.jpg

Pup 3:
l-bluemale1.jpg

Pup 4:
pinkmale1.jpg

Pup 5:

purplemale1.jpg

Pup 6:

redmale1.jpg

I am partial to at LEAST 3 of them, lol. The seller wants us to pick pups soon... I'd rather wait until they are at least 8 - 10 weeks, but I'm not in charge. And, I want to hold on to my #2 place in line so I'll pick as soon as she calls me to come pick.
I've already seen the pups once last week, but they had barely opened their eyes and were just starting to totter around. And, they still had puppy breath....Ahhhhh!
The parents are impressive. The male is a light brindle - looks like a tiger! He's gorgeous and has a huge block head. The female was 120# before she was bred. They are both big and beautiful. They live on only about an acre, but they do stay with the goats and there are lots of chickens/ducks there too.
They'll be ready to come home by mid-June. I'm starting to get excited!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are ALL adorable!

.....Hate to be a partypooper, but I'd be very concerned that this breeder is already letting people come out and see the pups this young.....that's parvo waiting to happen :hide :duc

Sorry, you can :smackme now :hide :hide :hide

That being said, I still wanna smooch them :love

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd never slap you GW! I appreciate your input and I thought the same way.

But, she did have me put on a pair of shoe covers and use hand sanitizer before holding them. Not sure if all that really helps that much, but it did ease my mind somewhat... And, I'll be getting a health guarantee....of some sort. Haven't seen it yet - but I haven't put down a deposit yet either!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Concerns me that a "reputable" breeder wants you to pick a dog by it's looks.
You want to compliment your existing dog. At this age you do not know strengths or weaknesses.

As @Goat Whisperer mentioned- YIKES! Parvo can come in on clothes etc. This breeder is potentially risking an entire litter. We don't allow anyone on the property until at least 2 vaccines have been given.

Now I will say I did pick Tiggs (my Anatolian male) by looks and personality... :hide
BUT I was NOT needing another LGD I wanted him as a pet.:p
I do know now how ridiculous this sounds.
So I picked the brindle and Tiggs was a big timid baby. Another dog there was the BEST dog and if I had wanted a LGD that is the one I would have gotten. Tiggs in the end is a LGD and a great one at that but personality wise he is shy around strangers. I knew if I didn't take him someone else may and not be able to handle his temperament. He is 2 years and 160 lbs. and a very powerful wimp. :lol:

But if you are asking for picks I will give mine... 3 possibly 6.

It would be better for the breeder to send you a video of the pups. There is much more to see when watching them explore and in motion... still pics are not helpful.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with not wanting to pick by looks. As of now she has 11 pups and only two spoken for so I'm really hoping to get some more time to let these guys develop a personality and a style. It's not an ideal situation - but still the heart wants what the heart wants!

This is a young couple and they are just starting with dogs and goats. She has some beautiful show quality Nubians and her dogs are beautiful. Having said that - I really can't say that she's got the experience to determine what dog will have what personality traits and which/where/how those traits will transfer into a working dog. So, yes - it's a gamble but truthfully, almost every LGD I've ever owned has come to me through some strange circumstances.

I've owned three GP's over a span of 20+ years and two of them were unique circumstances. The first was from a woman going through a divorce...her husband sold all of her goats while she was out of town and he was trying to get rid of the dog too. She was a neighbor to a friend of mine and the 'transfer' was a covert, late night operation. Glad I didn't get shot! This was an older dog and I was only blessed with her for a few years. She died of lymphosarcoma...so sad. But she trained ME and was the dog that got me hooked.

The second one was a dog that a young couple had bought to keep in an apartment! They had her for several years before I got her and I'm not sure she'd ever seen an animal other than a cat and/or a squirrel! Geeze louise. Another semi-rescue who turned out to be a wonderful LGD. She knew she was supposed to be with stock even if her former owners didn't.

Third one was Maddie, my current girl. She was a birthday gift. A very sweet gift even though I told my family to NEVER do that again, lol. I didn't even see her before she came here and she is THE.BEST.DOG.EVER!

So, while I probably should be more concerned I'm willing to let it play out as it will. I am not locked in at this moment, but I am smitten.

Shoot me now, lol!

Latest posts