Cows with bare patches on their neck

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a couple cows that seem to have 1 or 2 bare places on the neck area. I was wondering if anyone had encountered this in the past and if it could be lice? Didnt think lice was bad in winter but I may be wrong. Was thinking of treating w/ ivomec pour on but questioned the winter also

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Where on the neck? Could it be rub marks where their necks rub against feeders while eating? It is red and irritated, or dry & scaly?

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It seems to mainly be on the briskett area. I have not noticed any red, just white bare spots. Really cant say about scaley for sure but I want to say yes. Any ideas?
Also we are looking into a good vaccination that will cover alot of different things in one. We are currently redoing our cattle pens/work area so we want to treat everyone the least as possible. We currently use Ivomec pour on for worms but not sure what else that covers

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is very likely ringworm. This will disappear when the days get longer. As to lice---winter is lice season. Due to the longer hair on the cattle, they will have a better place to hide from the sun's rays. I'm not sure, but I think that your area is one of the places where worms have become resistant to Ivomec. I'd be sure to rotate to one of the wormers that have a different mode of action. Rotation is important, as is using a FULL dose when using any wormer.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
julierx1 said:
It seems to mainly be on the briskett area. I have not noticed any red, just white bare spots. Really cant say about scaley for sure but I want to say yes. Any ideas?
Ringworm. It will indeed go away on its own in a few weeks, but if you're that worried about it, there are somethings you can do about it:

Bleach soaked in a rag and dabbed to the spot (heard that one from my boss)
Coppertox or something similar applied to the area
Hibatane topical ointment

There may be a few other remedies out there, but these are the ones that I know. Ringworm is just a fungal skin condition, it's neither parasitic nor a "disease," if you will.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ultraviolet rays from the sun, when the days get longer will kill ringworm. Ours have it every winter, and it goes away about the middle of March.

Lupa Duende

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
can you please post a photo if you have one? i would like to learn how to identify it
thank yoiu in advance