Coyote concern while gone over weekend

IslaBean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm going to be out of town the next three days and I don't have anyone to watch my goats. I have three nigerian dwarfs. One is young, but full grown. The other two are still only 4 months old and are not quite full grown. Each night, I lock them up inside the barn before dark because we have coyotes out where we live. I heard them howling the other night outside my house. I don't know what to do while I'm gone. I don't want to lock my goats up inside the barn for three whold days while I'm gone. It's really dark and depressing when all the doors are closed. However, there is definitly ample enough space for them if I were to lock them up. But if I did leave the door open leading to their outdoor pen, would there be a problem? I'm not sure if it keeps the coyotes out. It keeps the goats in, but I'm worried that they could easily dig right under, because there are small holes under the fence. I want what is best for my goats. What do you suggest that I do? Thanks! :weee

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined! If you have no one to look in on the goats, and even if you did, they would be gone 99% of the time and wouldn't keep coyotes away. If it were me, I would give them plenty of hay and water, and close them up. Better to be a little dark and depressing than coyote dinner.

IslaBean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Are you saying that it's best to just lock them inside the barn for the next three days, without seeing any daylight?:frow

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard decision. Of course, it is difficult to suggest since we don't see your enclosure. If the fence is secure and you have a box, you could add hot wire on outside of fence, low and high to keep any out. Are there any "sitters" you could hire to close up & open up for you?

Sounds like you need window on the barn.

IslaBean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do...

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, I would take the "lock-em up: for the three days as long as they have ample feed and water,or perhaps take them to a neighbors place if possible/practicable...T.O.R.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The solution is simple....if ya have to go, then lock them up with plenty of hay and water.......if ya don't want them locked up, then stay at home.....seems pretty simple to me, but it is your decision to make. Goats can see just fine in the dark, but they might rearrange a few things while ya are gone.....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not seeing daylight for three days isn't the end of the world. They'll get over it. Then you can go about building a Fort Knox for them. Maybe skirt the outside of the pen with wire laid flat on the ground so nothing can dig in, if you have electricity, run a hot wire like @Mini Horses said. If not, then get a solar set up and use a 1,000 cranking amps truck battery for your hot wire.

They will not die if locked in the barn for three days. Provide plenty of hay and water. They won't even be mad at you if you open the door and have treats for them.

Coyotes can jump fences too. So leaving them in the pen wouldn't be a good idea.