Coyote concern

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello
I live in Santa Barbara, CA and I have 6 goats. I work part time with a goat brush clearing company. They run 100 head of Boer/Kiko cross goats what they use for fencing is Premier one netting and a LGD with no housing. The space I have a available is a 1 acre parcel on a hill in the foothills it is fenced 100% by a 6 foot tall chain-link fence. They are giving me 3 does and 3 kids that are 2-4 months old. My current setup is dividing my 1 acre into 2 paddocks using electric netting and having a 3 sided shelter. I'm trying to make my chainlink hot on the top hopefully to finish this week.. Is there any sort of setup with a barn that can allow goats to leave in the morning without me being there? I'm worried about the predators' . I'm able to see my neighbors and there is quite a bit of foot traffic. I have seen a couple of coyotes using the creek as a guide but not that many. My friend who operates the bush clearing business says not to worry. I did have a whole flock of 6 chickens disappear overnight. I just don't know if coyotes around here are bold enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot (55)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (55)_LI.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 136

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I replied on your other threads but this gives more info -- answers a couple questions I asked. Chickens --- you didn't ask. :oops: but they are sure fire coyote & fox bait.

If there is no other entry into the fence you describe, with hot wire, you are probably ok with the goats. The 3 sided shelter allows the goats to walk out without your help. The coyote looks for smaller prey, so kidding time would be their temptation. They can dig under a fence. Only one acre...you will need a lot of hay with six and wanting a buck. Are any of the 3 kids a buckling? They can be fertile at about 5 months....

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I replied on your other threads but this gives more info -- answers a couple questions I asked. Chickens --- you didn't ask. :oops: but they are sure fire coyote & fox bait.

If there is no other entry into the fence you describe, with hot wire, you are probably ok with the goats. The 3 sided shelter allows the goats to walk out without your help. The coyote looks for smaller prey, so kidding time would be their temptation. They can dig under a fence. Only one acre...you will need a lot of hay with six and wanting a buck. Are any of the 3 kids a buckling? They can be fertile at about 5 months....
No i don't plan to the keep the kids ( 2 wethers and a doe) so at the end I will be left with 4 goats ( 3 does and a buck). The premier one netting stops flush at the 6 ft chain-link.