Coyotes are out in mass tonight

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went outside for a minute and WOW.... coyotes yipping everywhere! There is a pack behind our property, last night they were farther away. Tonight, real close and I mean TOO close. The meat goats are back in the general area. They are Straws goats. Callie and "D" are with them and they were quiet. Suddenly they are going crazy, then the other 2 pyrs up by the house are going nuts! Another pack down by the cattle farm and sounds like another to the left. I HATE COYOTES!

Everynight it is getting worse, so glad to have LGD's! When those dogs start barking it is a comforting sound.

Anyone else noticed an increase??

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I heard some the other night here in Ga. But after that one night nothing. I hope and pray they don't come back. I pray they don't come messing around your place any closer.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Our coyotes pretty much leave us be. There's a pack that lives on north tip of our property. And another that lives to the south. We actually haul our dead stock up to north pack. I know if it weren't for the dogs we would be SOL.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We have had coyotes right at the fence line. But they have learned not to cross that line thanks to good fences and good dogs.

Tmaxson

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Last year we saw two in our fields, (at first glance I thought they were my dogs) they left lots of droppings all around my property and we heard them singing at night (very eerie sound) but the dogs chased them off and we haven't heard or seen them since. Although my husband heard something the other morning before sunrise running the wood line and yippy barking (he thinks it was a fox).

Last night when we went to close up the chickens and check on everyone and the goats acted like they were spooked by something. We don't have LGDs just my Aussies that go out several times a night to chase off anything that doesn't belong so I'm hoping that is enough.

The guy who lives across the street from us said they have lost several birds lately but they are all free range and actually don't have any type of coop for protection so I guess that is to be expected.

What are the laws/regulations regarding killing Coyotes in NC?

Good luck everyone and hopefully we won't see any posts about Coyotes attacking our animals.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
In NC... you can kill em.. no problem. You will need to check local laws if you are in "city limits". If you trap them you may not re-locate them, it is against the law.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well Gus has been going NUTS the last couple of nights. I figure with the trees being bare, she can see further than our treeline now. Don't know if they're coyotes...although the ones we have out our way are LARGE - like wolf/german sheppard sized and will often hunt in packs. (Unlike their western bretheren.) I know between having the guineas and the dog, the resident fox disappeared, as did our "whistle pig" buddy, and the deer avoid our property like the plague! One of the neighbors saw a large black bear crossing the road not too long ago. (& we're not in the country-country either!) So far, I've yet to SEE/hear coyotes around us...although when Gus really gets going, I do go out with the MEGA flashlight and check.

Now someone can correct me, but I believe shooting/killing/trapping coyotes is LEGAL, as long as you obey local laws...meaning "no discharging of firearms within city limits"....etc. Each state/county/city has it's own laws. I suggest calling your local county extension office to see what you can find out. Remember, coyotes were almost exterminated thanks to the bounty that was put out on them back in the day. I'm not sure if some states STILL have bounties on them. (Killing wolves is a different matter...) But again, if killing them is illegal....than wouldn't we be held accountable if our LGD killed one? (Just a thought.) Protecting against threats to your livestock/livelihood is generally allowed, as long as you're not randomly shooting - think basic gun safety! Besides, you don't want to be shooting at the coyotes IF you have LGDs out there fending them off...you might hit the wrong animal!

Good luck Southern. Maybe you need a few more dogs?! ;) Let thoese geese out and get them to patrol as well! lol

Tmaxson

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern: We aren't in the city limits, live on 11 acres, and if we see it we'll get our dogs inside and hopefully get rid of any coyotes around here for good.

CocoNUT: One of my dogs name is Gus too.

Everybody loves pictures so here is a picture of my Gus.

6364_gus_summer_2010.png

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Western coyotes also hunt in packs so that comment confuses me. Coyotes areound here do a lot of varmint hunting though and because those are pretty plentiful they don't tangle with ranch dogs to often. We also don't have coy-dogs. It's also more of an urban myth out here.