Cracked Hooves in Gelding..Update Pg. 2

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all! I just got my Max back after a year-long legal battle. It appears as though the person who had him left him in the pasture as an ornament. He's not in bad shape, but he needs some work.

I'm currently feeding him sweet feed (all grain) with 1 cup of BOSS a day. The feet, to me, look brittle and dry and there is a vertical crack. When I got him back (last Thursday) all four of his feet were shod. I have a farrier coming out Saturday morning to take a look at him and tell me my options, but thought I'd ask here as well.

I took some photos of his hooves. They're not the best because it had rained 2 days before (flooded).

DSCF1305.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

His feet as of July 14, 2010:
DSCF1307.jpg

The mud "streak" is where the vertical crack is.

DSCF1306.jpg

koop

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My wife bought an Appaloosa about a year ago, she had always had shoes because of a crack in her front hoof. She was giving her a feed supplement, I think it was "hooflex", but not the conditioner (I just picked up a pail for her and it wasn't the right stuff. But she doesn't have shoes on anymore and my wife is very happy with the results. Treating it from the inside out is really the way to go for treating hoof problems.

I how this is helpful.

I was kinda following your ordeal with your horse, wow, I hope things get better from here on for you.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd prefer for him not to have shoes myself, but if it keeps the crack from splitting even more and exposing nerves...

Do you think it'd be safe to ride him in an arena? Just walk/trot?

Edit: Thanks for following, if it weren't for everyone over there rooting for me, I might have given up.

Wynette

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Koop - probably a biotin supplement. That's what I've always used in my thin-hooved Appy gelding. It takes almost a year for the hoof to grow out, but you can definitely tell the difference within a few months. When he had a bad (much worse than this) vertical crack in his hoof, the farrier told me that we needed to leave the shoes on all year to hold both sides together, if you will, as it grew out. The biotin supplements are MANY...don't skimp on a cheap one if you go that route. He looks GREAT, though!

SURE, it would be good for him AND FOR YOU to get him going again! That crack is not a major issue.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
EXCELLENT! Then tomorrow he's being ridden!

I WON'T ride unless someone else is there with me. I don't trust my own abilities enough yet. I can't get on the saddle without a step-up and like someone to hold the other side of the saddle "just in case". I'm just not that good at it.

Once I'm up though, it's heaven. If I get hurt, I don't wanna be alone. I'm sure once my legs get stronger, I won't feel the need to have someone nearby. Almost got on him today...but, didn't want to hurt his hooves.

As long as I know he won't get hurt...I'm all for testing him out! :D

Edit: Is it something with Appys?

scbatz33

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our mare had/has horrible hoof problems. It took over a year to get them straight. We tried all kinds of biotin supplements, brands, and such. It wasn't until we got her on a feed with 10% fat and a probiotic that we saw a solid, positive change.

When she went to be bred they didn't care for her feet at all. They left the shoes on way too long and she ripped a hoof. Fortunately they kept her on the same feed and so she didn't back slide. The farrier was able to trim her up and she is now barefoot and doing well.

I don't know if it was her living conditions before we got her. She was always kept on a gravel lot with front shoes. Or if it was the feed, she was on a really really cheap brand. Or a combination of both.

She will never have good feet, but she has manageable problems.

Wynette

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
RoPo - Supposedly, yes, it's more common in Appys. I've also heard that horses with white socks are more susceptible, but those could be old wives' tails.

I can't get in the saddle either without a step-up, so I'm with you there!

ChickGirl6

Just born
Reaction score
Riding him is fine as long as you have the shoes on. The shoes stop the crack from getting worse, my dad was a farrier til he got hurt. I showed him the pics and he said as long as the crack does not get to the hair line it should heal fine. you might want to keep the shoes on til it at lest starts to heal.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wynette said:
RoPo - Supposedly, yes, it's more common in Appys. I've also heard that horses with white socks are more susceptible, but those could be old wives' tails.

I can't get in the saddle either without a step-up, so I'm with you there!
Actually, I've heard and noticed the same thing. My aunt has a mare with one white sock and three non-white. The one white sock has more chips in the hoof than the others.

It was actually one of the reasons I thought about not getting Max. But I couldn't NOT get him ya know?