Crash course in birthing Alpacas

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend has 4 female alpacas and they are all bred. The first one just deliverd either a still born baby or it died shortly after birth. It did not appear to be cleaned off very well. A neighbor said that he saw her give birth but that the baby didn't get up and when the neighbor checked they said it was cold. We were about 15 minutes away so we aren't really sure when it was born or what happened. We did witness her passing the afterbirth.

I have attended births of pups, kittens, goats, chickens, rabbits, and people, but never alpacas. Is there anything special that she should know? Her next one is due in a few weeks and hoping for a better outcome. All of these gals are first time ladies in waiting. Are they usually good mothers? Do they stand up and deliver or lie down? Could the cria have died during birthing? Are these harder to raise successfully than goats?

Someone told her that she should have some goat colostrum on hand I am the source for that. How likely is it that she will need this? I need to milk some out tomorrow for her. My doe just had kids yesterday.

All tips, tricks, and advice are welcome.

Also, do you give selenium to alpacas like we have to do with our goats?

Thanks

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Usually things work out fine. You want to see a nose first and then the legs. I always kept goat colostrum on hand just in case. I really like to try and be there for the birth so I know what happens. The cria should be up within half an hour. Alpacas aren't as good about cleaning the crias like goats are. You usually have to clean them off. They stand more often than lay down to birth but laying down is not uncommon. I wouldn't say they are harder to raise than goats. I never gave selenium to alpacas like I do the goats but they do need it. It also depends on the feed. My feed had plenty of selenium in (it was a special mix that had added selenium) it so I very rarely had to give shots.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. She feeds only grass hay and some alpaca/llama feed they get at a feed store so really no idea what the selenium level of the feed would be, but I know our area is very low and I booster all my goats.

Is there anyway to know when they are ready to give birth? Do they go off alone when they are ready? Do you put yours in a separate pen or does that stress then too much? They have such a wide window of time it is difficult to stay home with them all the time; especially when you have to go to work. She has her neighbors watching for her.

How long does an average labor last between the time you notice they are in labor and they present the cria? Can you tell they are in labor? I feel lilke sure a amateur at this, which I am.

Thanks

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
They can be in obvious pain. Some do go off by themselves. They have anything from no signs to very obvious signs. I didn't put them alone unless there were reasons that warranted it. If they are in obvious labor that they are contracting and pushing, there should be a cria within a half hour to an hour.