Crash course?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huh.... I would be worried.....

But. :idunno

Not sure what I would do about it..... I guess decide if she was worth a vet or not...

Not sure if what is coming out is a broken umbilical... or simply a string of gummy mucus....

There could be 2 or more kids in there... and one dead and the other still alive....

Not sure.

But if she isn't in labor or trying to push... not sure how to do anything...

What I would do:

Make sure she continues to eat and drink well. Keep an eye on her temperature, if it gets elevated, you know there is a dead kid in there and she needs help. At that point decide if she is worth the vet.

If her temperature stays ok, then she might carry to term (whenever that is) and then you will see what she has. If there is a dead kid (and maybe there isn't a dead kid... maybe that is just stringy discharge), depending on how long it is dead before kidding and how well contained the dead kid stays (ruptured sack or not etc.), the other kid or kids might be perfectly fine. I had a goat with triplets, she kidded with zero issues. One was dead, the other 2 were perfectly fine. She needed zero help, zero infection and zero vet. The 2 live kids were great, good healthy and strong.

Laodicia

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Huh.... I would be worried.....

But. :idunno

Not sure what I would do about it..... I guess decide if she was worth a vet or not...

Not sure if what is coming out is a broken umbilical... or simply a string of gummy mucus....

There could be 2 or more kids in there... and one dead and the other still alive....

Not sure.

But if she isn't in labor or trying to push... not sure how to do anything...

What I would do:

Make sure she continues to eat and drink well. Keep an eye on her temperature, if it gets elevated, you know there is a dead kid in there and she needs help. At that point decide if she is worth the vet.

If her temperature stays ok, then she might carry to term (whenever that is) and then you will see what she has. If there is a dead kid (and maybe there isn't a dead kid... maybe that is just stringy discharge), depending on how long it is dead before kidding and how well contained the dead kid stays (ruptured sack or not etc.), the other kid or kids might be perfectly fine. I had a goat with triplets, she kidded with zero issues. One was dead, the other 2 were perfectly fine. She needed zero help, zero infection and zero vet. The 2 live kids were great, good healthy and strong.
I've been asking about her every evening, still no baby and she seems to be alright. The owner is home right now so I don't really have much say in what happens goat care wise. She'll let me know if she thinks there's trouble, and I'll help her with whatever she thinks should be done.

The goat has been acting completely normal eating and drinking.

Laodicia

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It looks to me like she aborted and hadn't passed all the afterbirth which is more common if they abort. But that is just my observation/opinion.
As of yesterday most of it had dried up. But there was a little fresh blood. I did feel baby moving though. So maybe there is a dead one too idk. As far as we have seen there wasn't a baby around anywhere. And she's been kept inside since that first day.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep, and I am guessing goats, have been known to occasionally abort one of multiples they are carrying... as @Alaskan and others have said. Hoping she hurries up and goes into labor and has whatever she is going to have... Since she is supposedly close to due date, you should have found something if she has been kept in.... Let's hope for the best....

Laodicia

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The goat mama's belly is smaller today. My friend thinks she's reabsorbing the baby.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is anything still hanging out, or as you said some fresh blood when it was looking to dry up, she is not reabsorbing it. It has been aborted, as @Mini Horses said, it will be very small and quite possible that it was not seen. When they reabsorb there is no outward signs of them "losing it" or anything expelled. If she does not pass the rest of the afterbirth/placenta etc, she will wind up with an infection. However you are doing what the owner says/wants so that call is up to her. I still commend your helping her like you have and trying to learn in the "crash course".

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she aborted one fetus but is still carrying another in the other horn, she may go to term with that ne. However, at mid gestation I would not think you would be able to feel the baby moving around. Another option is a false pregnancy in one horn. The false pregnancy may have ruptured expelling only fluid. With a false pregnancy you would have uterine fluid, and small placenta but no fetus therefore no kid. There would be no labor either ince there is no kid pushing its way out. The other horn if the goat is still pregnant might still have a live fetus. Since there is no sign of her going off feed, or temperature, I would let nature take its course and see what happens.