Crazy storm!!!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thermometer on my front porch says it is 66°F right now. This time yesterday it was already 89°F.
This is very much tropical like here. Very stiff but variable ESE wind with rains coming in successive heavy bands, not steady rain. Sometimes the wind approaches 20mph in gusts.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got 1 1/4” of rain last night. We had to go to town and passed a tree that obviously got struck by lightning. The top part of the trunk looked like it exploded, just splinters. Everything on our place is ok.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's nice out here too...80 but a nice cool breeze.
The lightning has been crazy all over the place! When I lived in Maine there was a tree in the yard that had been struck by lightning and half of it was dead, the other half had a lot of strange designs on it. It was pretty cool :)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
We saw some weather off to the west towards Lawrenceburg but we had a light shower this morning but that's it. That was fine with me since I have plenty to do.
Wow you guys didn't get that storm last night?!
The rain is nice, i think everything really needed it :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had some showers/storms but they have been very spotty. Pouring rain one place, barely enough to settle the dust a couple miles away. Had rain, and hail and such 50 miles south in Roanoke Va a week or so ago. Had pouring rain in Fairfield on Wed eve last week, not 10 drops at my house 5 miles away. Calling for some more showers/possible thunderstorms here this eve, then clearing with 20% chance or less of precip for over a week. We cut hay yesterday, will move the tractor and rake to the one place this eve and I will be raking tomorrow unless we get any of the rain here this eve. Will start cutting again tomorrow and try to get quite a bit of it all down and made dry since there isn't much chance for the rest of the week.

We had a "Derecho" several years ago. 70 + mph winds came out of nowhere. Pouring rain. HOT and HUMID before and after. Happened on June 29th or 30th and we didn't get power back until the afternoon of July 4th. Had to open gates and actually cut some fencing to get the cows at a couple places to creeks for water. I hauled at least 3 loads a day to cattle at a few different places. It is hard on the cows with 90 degree temps and no water. Compliments of the "fence the cattle out of the streams" so as to improve stream water quality, and the farmer then has to have a well put in and monthly electric bills to pump it...... oh but wait, what happens when there is no electricity?????? It was a rough week. My son and I split the use of the generator to keep the freezers and the fridges going. One place I was farm sitting has a whole house generator, so I wound up taking a few showers there after I did those chores. It was a nightmare of a week.

Sorry that some of you are suffering with the crazy weather now.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow that sounds crazy!! That must have been so difficult with the cows and trying to get them water...I imagine that would be so stressful on you and the cows! That's a loooong time to go without power!

I've never been in a Derecho before and it was just incredible. It was a nice day...hot and humid but nice and then that thing came out of nowhere...no warnings, nothing. I hated not knowing what was going on.
And i really thought i'd lose all my outdoor rabbits.
I thought for sure it was a tornado...the tree-tops were almost on the ground :eek:
I just hope it doesn't happen again for a while...now my rabbits are moved to a safe place, where trees can't fall on top of them and I don't have to hurt my back again trying to save them :rolleyes:

Latest posts