Cream Cheese

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cream cheese has many recipes and I haven't tried them all. Some call for milk, buttermilk and salt. Some need milk, vinegar and salt. Some use milk, whipping cream, buttermilk and rennet. Even there are more.

If you have the fresh goats milk I would love to hear your results of trying one of the simple recipes using buttermilk as the culture.

(Not my recipe - one someone gave me)

1 gallon whole milk
1 quart cultured buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour milk and buttermilk into a large pan and suspend the thermometer in the milk. Over medium heat stir occasionally until the termperature reads 170 degrees.

Keep the mixture on the heat and the temperature of the milk between 170 and 175 degrees.

After 30 minutes, the mixture should start to separate into curds and whey.

Line a strainer with several layers of moistened cheesecloth and set it inside a large bowl. Then lift the curds from the milk mixture and lay them in the cheesecloth. Pour the remainder of the whey through the cheesecloth.

Let curds drain at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours.

Remove the cheese from the cheesecloth. Using a food processor or the back of a good wooden spoon work the cheese until it is creamy.

Store the cheese in small containers with tight fitting lids and refrigerate. It can also be frozen, thawed and then beaten again in blender until creamy.

You can divide the recipe in half -

1/2 gallon whole milk
1/2 quart cultured buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon salt

This makes a nice cream cheese.