Cria with nasal discharge. Help?

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My four week old female cria has a white, not clear, nasal discharge today; it's mostly on one side. I have never had this in my llamas before... does anyone have ideas?

She is acting just fine in all behaviors. She was in the pasture overnight and it rained almost all night long. They chose not to go into the barn so they were all wet this morning.

None of my other llamas show any signs of this at this point.

sayyadina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does she have a fever at all? If she's acting normal with a normal temp & gaining weight well, then I wouldn't think she's sick.

Maybe she has allergies? I've seen white nasal discharge with both of my ponies when there's a lot of pollen in the air. I haven't seen it with the alpacas, though.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Did you clean her nose up? I would clean her nose up and see if you have more tomorrow. If you have more, you may want to take her temp. If you have a stethoscope, you may want to listen to her breathing. If she has ammonia or some type of lung problem, I would think you would be able to hear funny breathing.

Sometimes if they got something up their nose, this could happen. If that is all it is, you shouldn't see anything more once you clean up her nose.

Years ago I had a female (adult) that her only sign of ammonia was a runny nose. No temp or anything. I know it was ammonia because I did have the vet out to check her. She was put on penicillin and was fine.

Watch her closely. If a cria goes downhill, they tend to go downhill fast.

sayyadina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Karen, I think you mean pneumonia instead of ammonia.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, I did. It has been a long weekend. I had 3 births yesterday and all had problems. I"m glad this weekend is over.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
It has been a long weekend. I had 3 births yesterday and all had problems. I"m glad this weekend is over.
I'm sorry you had a rough weekend. I sure hope things get brighter quickly for you. Thanks for your advice.

How are your little ones doing?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
They are all doing fine now. Just some rough starts. Luckily nothing major. The vet is coming out today to pull blood for the IgG's and check their heart and lungs.

How is your little one doing now?