Cross country transport- milky snot this morning

plumleyfrm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have just traded a very nice Lowline weanling for my bull calf and must now transport her back to Illinois tomorrow. Here's the problem, she saw the vet 2 days ago for health cert and got her Bangs vaccinine also. Yesterday when I picked her up she had some clear nasal discharge, and some heavy raspy breathing ( but that was after taking a born-free run around the farm when she got loose during a loading attempt). Brought her back to my brothers horse farm and this morning she has a milky discharge from one nostril. We need to trailer her back (18+ hour drive)
I do not want this to take hold and get worse due to the stress of transport. Willing to pay for a Sunday vet call if that is what it takes. This heifer is worth a lot to me. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Margaret

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Draxxin. Lasts a week, and is the best I've ever used for respiratory problems. However, I'd be a bit concerned that this heifer might have chronic lung problems if she had raspy breathing earlier. If this is the case, she will probably not recover completely.

plumleyfrm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank- you for your reply! Finally got hold of a vet and she gave us batryl and some bannamine for the lung inflammation. I know the farm that she came from and trust her implicitly when she says this just started. The breeder feels rotten that this has happened. We consider it just a small bump in the road. That's critters :) It was just the start of a runny nose yesterday. This was expensive but you know.... An ounce of prevention. Thanks again for your reply!
Margaret