Crusty Noses on New Goats

RonHarvey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 3 new goats. Two of them have developed blockage of the nose. It is dry and crusty and they have having trouble breathing through their noses.
2 photos attached (I hope). Any suggestions as to what this is, how serious it is, and what I can do for them.

In case I cant find my way back to this forum, please respond to rharvey@jaspercompliance.com also.

Thank you

By the way - I am very new to goats. Just a couple weeks ago I was given charge of the goats at my family farm.
It is my hope that this forum will be helpful.

Darn - Cant figure out how to insert photos.

RonHarvey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I figured out how to post the photos, but "brand new members" cant post them due to spammers.

If you would like to look at the photos I guess I will have to email them to you for now.

Thanks.

RonHarvey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do not have a way to take their temp, so I am not sure about that.
Generally they seem active and they are eating.

They do sound congested because they are breathing through their mouths mostly. When they try to breath through the nose, it sounds "Wheezy".

I have not tried to clean their noses. They are new here and are still nervous about me getting close. I will try to do that and let you know.
Q-tips and a little water would do the trick I assume.

Thanks.

Still cant post the photo

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It could be something as simple as hay mold allergies, but it could be worse. See if you can get a digital thermometer and check some temps. You'll have to do this rectally. It will be much easier if you have a helper to hold the goat while you take the temp.

I would recommend getting some VetRx, and maybe some broad spectrum antibiotic that treats respiratory illnesses. Clean their noses off with a damp papertowel, then drop some VetRx into their noses. Give the recommended dose of the antibiotic, in shot form preferably. Don't skip any doses.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Do they have a temp? Do they sound congested? Have you cleaned their nose and then it was back?
????????????? Are they coughing, congested, what color is discharge???
A little more info would help.

I would go get a temp. You want to use a digital themo. Avail anywhere drug stores, dept store..for a few bucks (dollars) LOL Dont give em your bucks!!! :lol: :gig

I dont recomend Q Tips...I would stick anything up thier noses unless absolutley neccessary..they could jump and seriouly injure themselves. I would use a warm paper towel..and clean them off.

But it could be new hay...new straw...many differant issues. New enviroment will sometimes makes them sneezy. And it dos'nt nesscessarily mean illness which needs antibiotics.

I would be pretty sure that its an illness (infection) before giving antibiotics..IMO.

So get a temp...and try to get more info on here about symtoms...that might help!!!

PS After 10 post you will be able to post pics FYI! And please do!

Good luck!!!

And Welcome to BYH!! :frow

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi RH,I have lots of "sympathy " for you with the photo thing,I almost tore out what little hair I have left when I first joined the site....................Are the goats housed,all the time ,part of the time?............Do YOU consider the sheds "dusty",if so this could just be a reaction to their environment........................Sometimes "lungworm" can cause a nasal discharge.......................T.O.R.

RonHarvey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am glad to hear from you all.

They are not coughing or having trouble breathing.
They are housed in partly closed shelter at night but roam a pretty large area during the day.
I used the Q tip on the outside of the nose and I used the towel also.

What I did was this:
1. Wiped their noses (after I managed to catch them in their very large
field) with a solution of Grapefruit Seed Extract in water. The crusty
material seemed to be very hard and I did not try to removed it for concern
that it would tear the flesh and cause bleeding.
2. Applied a mixture of essential oils with a swab to the nasal area. I
used basil, pepper and lemon oil (just a couple drops of each in 10 ml of
olive oil). Just applied it to the outside of the nose.

There is no discharge. Just a hard crusty material that resembles a scab around the opening of the nose. This material could not be easily wiped off so I left it in place.

Overall, they are active, eating and generally looking OK. The condition has not worsened over the past couple days so I do not think it is very serious.

Ron (thank you for all the input)

I have never had goats before. After a few weeks, i really like them. More important, it seems they like me.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
New to goats, but I'm thinking it might be sore mouth. Maybe someone with more experience will post their thoughts. From what I understand there isn't much that can be done about it - it has to run it's course. It is contageous - but it sounds like all your goats already have it. I think I remember reading it takes about 3 weeks to run the full course.

Google "goats, sore mouth" and see if that's what it looks like.

edited for typo.

RonHarvey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I looked at photos of sore mouth and there is a similarity, but I did not see many images that indicated it affects the nose.
It did say that there is nothing to do when the infection comes, just wait it out (3 to 4 weeks).
I am already taking care not to affect other goats.

Thanks.

Latest posts