Crying goat

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I recently got a kid born 5th of September. He was a triplet so while he was with mum he also got supplemental bottles so is used to the bottle. I’ve also got a bottle baby lamb who I have been keeping with him in the yard. The last couple of days the lambs been wanting to hang out in the paddock with the ewe (she had mastitis last year that busted her bag and we ended up cutting off a quarter of her bag. Turns out it wasn’t fixed and she can’t feed this lamb). The main problem is that the goat wants to hang out with the lamb but the ewe keeps trying to ram into him. We’ve got no other goats and he’s going to be hanging out in the paddock with my pony and the sheep. The worst part is that because he’s by himself whenever I leave him he sings out for ages. It sounds like someone’s slitting his throat. Is there a way to stop him singing out? I’m going through a rough time at the moment and my babies are the reason I’m getting up in the morning so I can’t just stay away from him. I‘ve made up a small obstacle course for him but it’s not helping.

Thanks in advance

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello! Can you get him another goat as a companion? I'm new to goats but have been told you need to have at least two as they don't do well alone.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is nothing that will shut him up.

Nothing.

Unless he is happy.

And, a second baby won't necessarily keep him quiet.

My neighbor got 2 kids once, and they hollered for over a month... until they were butchered.

I think the kids just need a herd.

When I once bought 2 young kids I had a few does. The kids didn't cry.

Marie2020

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He's lonely for sure.

There was a goat around here, he lived and got on well with two pony's. He followed them everywhere

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
At the moment, it isn't possible to get another goat as my parents brought him for me and it took a bit of convincing to get them to let me have one (I'm 15). He is fine when with the lamb and they get into all kinds of mischief when together.

I've been letting the goat out for a couple of hours and checking on him without him seeing me and he seems to be okay. I'm pretty sure he thinks it's a game that the ewe is chasing him away from the lamb. It's pretty funny to watch actually. She'll chase him away only for him to return a couple of seconds later.

I would like him to be a bit bigger before he stays out there all day, only coming in at night so I don't have to go out there during the night to feed them.

While out there today he was playing with the lambs. The ram seems okay with him and so does the pony. It seems to be just this ewe that I've introduced him to and doesn't like him (the ram comes up for scratches whenever I'm in the paddock so it was easy to introduce them.)

Sorry, this is a long reply, just getting all the information in that I can. Also, thanks for the replies so far.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not a sheep or goat person, so my thoughts may not be correct, but I wonder if that ewe will stop chasing him away once her lamb is older and weaned.

If that lamb is his friend and the ram accepts him, maybe he will be happy enough eventually. I know that doesn’t solve your current crying problem though.

Latest posts