CTChick - Farmette in the 'burbs

CTChick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Was buying feed at Benedicts and ended up with a new rooster (smart, really - with a storm coming in!) but he is a gorgeous white silkie boy and I couldn't resist. I keep two roosters in each coop/run and lost my frizzle cochin ("Fabio") a couple weeks ago. He was old, and just fell asleep in the sun ... I hope my end is as peaceful!

Sadly, "Yoshi" is NOTHING like sweet Fabio - he came in to conquer, attacking Jack the bantam dorking - then when I moved him temporarily, went after Mullie and Sammie ... and for a silkie, he is LOUD. Oh well - he is in temporary digs while we wait the storm out - due to hit HARD here in Connecticut midnight tomorrow (Monday). Everything is all battened down, I am so grateful for the goat house! Let's hope it stays put - the goats are loving it too.

Laura

CTChick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Quick note: Tired of a loud, aggressive (albeit handsome) silkie - he went back earlier this week, and good riddance!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hey CT!

How did you fare during the hurricane? I was bit worried because you hadn't posted in a while! Glad to see you are back.:D

CTChick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I fell asleep in front of the TV (hoping to watch Obama's acceptance speech) and now I'm up and wide awake. Can't believe I didn't post about Storm Sandy! Our only barnyard issue was one chicken coop tipped, but didn't fall over ... we propped it up, chickens were okay. So grateful for the new goat house (and the fact that no trees fell on it!). We did NOT lose electricity (amazing, as we generally are the first to lose it and the last to get it back) however we did lose TV/Phone/Internet which is why I didn't post for a full week. I'm still catching up on emails, etc. Thank you for your kind thoughts, Bridgemoof!

I want to post a picture of a hay feeder I made out of a little old-fashioned wire shopping basket - fits perfectly between two studs in the goat house, I am very pleased. I made two more - out of old tomatoe cages - one is hanging on fence for Big Lou (but the girls are eating from the other side) I put two cages together, used the "stakes" from one to wrap a up and create a "floor" and stuck it in the ground of Lou's house. I spaced the two cages so the vertical bars of one are set between the bars of the other - holds a leaf of hay and he's not wasting much. With one goat, this is fine. My shopping cart (which I hung using wire and heavy duty "O" screws) holds about two leafs. Plenty for two ND and one alpine doelings.

Laura (CtChick)

PS - okay, I just spent 20 minutes trying to learn how to upload a picture ... HELP!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi CT! Glad to hear everything went okay with Sandy!

Here's how you post a pic (from the FAQ section)

How To Post Pictures Using Our new BYC Image Hosting tool:

1) Click on the "Uploads" link at the top of the page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploadimg.php
2) Click "Browse" to find the image on your computer
3) Upload the image to the server and then you'll be presented with the image code to paste into your post here on the forum (copy the image code and paste it into your journal)

I'm anxious to see these hay racks! Sounds so industrious of you!

CTChick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I tried this on my own ... when I click the link to backyardchickens (to which I also belong) it tells me there is a problem ... this did seem like it should be easy, too (sigh).

CTChick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I am embarrassed not to have posted in so long - but I think you'll understand in that after we went though Storm Sandy - I live one town away from Newtown, the Sandy Hook shootings were a nightmare you cannot imagine ... and yes, I knew one of the children (Jesse Lewis) his mom and dad for years now. Also, I think you all know I have a retail shop, so December was hectic and now this past Wednesday a young girl who was like a daughter to me killed herself. Memorial service was Saturday; I spent this afternoon with her mom and stepdad. So much death, such tragic circumstances ... I am barely speaking. Honestly, the air is thick with it - everyone in this part of Connecticut is feeling it. Very heavy, oppressive. Christmas was almost a non-event.

In farm news -- well, sometime in September (of course I cannot remember the date) my ND buck got out and into the doe pen. I woke up at midnight to a commotion ... quickly separated him, got him back in his pen - but apparently not quick enough as "Cricket" is close to delivery. This will be my first and she is young ... so I am nervous. I have the breeder and vet on call, watching her closely and have read through all the posts and Fios Farm's extensive goat site. I think I'm ready ... I worked for a vet for a few years when I was younger, just praying she doesn't have a problem. She is also a ND and only nine and a half months old, which is NOT good. My buck is very small and I am praying for an uncomplicated birth. Any words of encouragement (and prayers) would be appreciated ... I am in a fragile state, honestly. Angry at myself that this happened, but that's only one thing in a long list of things I am angry about.

I think the world has gone crazy, honestly. And trying to take me with it ... :( so truthfully, a baby goat or two would be a welcome addition. New births = new life. Much needed.