1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

curing a head tilt

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by promiseacres, May 16, 2017.

1. May 16, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

So... miss Twilight (Velveteen lop ) developed a slight head tilt shortly after weaning her last litter. I have been treating her with fenbendazole for 2 weeks. Absolutely no change. :(am wondering if she has an inner ear infection. :hu am considering hitting her with some Durapen in addition to the fenbendazole. She's eating, does not fall. And no one else is ill in any way. Anyone successfully treat a lop eared bunny at home? No discharge or sign of mites. Intially she did have a lack of appetite but that improved. Thoughts? Not opposed to giving her the full month of treatment but probably won't take her to the vet....
    @Bunnylady @samssimonsays @PastorDave

2. May 16, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    I used duramycin as my antibiotic of choice. I'd guess it'san ear infection as well. I had one that was severe and we had two antibiotics from vet I gave twice a day one orally and once a day shot. Can't remember what they were it was in 2010. Def give the full treatment and see. If you don't it comes back with a vengeance. I have mine the full treatment and he still relapsed. He was at the twisting and flailing state, however , much quicker than yours.

3. May 16, 2017
    mygoldendoe

mygoldendoe Loving the herd life

My favorite bunny had it. She had it very bad and would stumble and couldn't always find her hay just right. Her ears were clear but I treated anyway. She got better but always had a slight tilt. She never got pregnant 4 times we bred her (even to different males) she developed a knot on her throat and i made sure she got extra dose of plantains & chickweed and the knot went down but we ultimately made the decision to cull since she wasn't producing. (Didn't eat her bc we weren't sure what was wrong) other than the small knot her insides were great. She had the sweetest personality, even my husband says he actually misses her too.
    I have read that if a bacterial infection gets too bad before treated it can cause permanent head tilt (to various degrees) but never looked into it further after we culled. All our others seem fine. Dunno what it was. Hope yours gets better soon

4. Jun 1, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

Well no change... other than I noticed she has a cloudy eye on the same side as the head tilt.... maybe a stroke?
    :idunno debating on just letting her be or culling. Will be running out of cage space soon. :( leaning towards the latter choice. Have a very nice son out of her to continue her line.

5. Jun 1, 2017
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

A stroke is a problem with the blood supply in the brain; it wouldn't cause a cloudy eye. A cloudy or weepy eye could be caused by an opportunistic infection as a result of an immune system that isn't functioning at its best (which is often the case with E. cuniculi flare-ups, which as you know, is a leading cause of head tilt). You can get permanent damage from E. cuniculi, even if you treat it appropriately (like most parasites, eradication is nearly impossible; the best you can hope for is to reduce them to a level that doesn't cause symptoms. And to really make things frustrating, sometimes you can get what appear to be spontaneous full recoveries, even without treatment.

promiseacres likes this.