"D" is injured...healing fine!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well D seems to be doing great! Running jumping and being a general LOVE! Will be keeping him alone for a bit though as we are expecting ice/snow.... I am beginning to think that is how it happened... ice.

Of course when we bring him to the house he will "play it up" ... he has always caught on to that idea.... oh I need attention... hmmmm I think I'll start limping. :rolleyes: Brat! :D

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:loveSo glad he is doing better!!! I know he is your special love and he is beautiful! But of course he knows how to ham it up...he's a smart boy! Had a dog in Canada who was a big hairy guy and would see me and start shivering to death looking in the window...kids told me he only did that if I was looking, so hid and watched...yup...it was all for my benefit as he knew I'd bring him in...heated dog house and our dog allergies...I was a sucker and he knew it...LOL!

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OMD How did I miss this post! So sorry for D.
Jesse had a similar injury last fall. It was rain and slick chicken poo that caused Jesse's injury. It has been forrrevvvver to heal. She'd feel better then I'd see her jumping in her lock down stall and then limp again.
My vet opted for no pain meds, as it was helping her to be to active.
Really what helped us was our horrendous winter weather. She has been in the barn and very small area of the barn yard as the sheep aren't venturing out farther than that. So she is now limp free but I watch for reinjurie.
But warning, it took months. Be careful and keep him from moving to much or you'll be nursing it for as long as we did.
He needed that biscuit for healing purposes!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh @bcnewe2 I know that one well... when he was under a year he hurt his other shoulder by running and didn't see the crater Callie had dug.... took forever and was on again off again ..reinjured. UGH! This was the opposite shoulder. :(

Yeah always careful about the meds cuz if they feel too good then they won't rest it. He was in real agony... we didn't keep him on long and did 1/2 dosage.

Yep he did need those biscuits and 1/2 a ham and eggs and all the other goodies he's been getting. LOL Yep he is the most spoiled LGD ever and I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

@bonbean01 - you know he puts on the show! BIG baby boy! Of course if I say "D" knock it off your ok he stops. :rolleyes:

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When you say D is a big baby....the vet told me the same about Jesse. Said he's never seen such a big baby! If she hurts herself at all it is a big deal in her mind! Unless there's something that needs guarding, then she forgets totally!
These dogs!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread but I just had to resurrect it. How is the big lug doing? Could we have a recent pic to drool over please?

When you described "D"s eating style my jaw kinda dropped... that is exactly the way Mel eats... even a tid-bit no larger than a quarter, he'll go lay down with it, try to break it into smaller pieces and drool a pile of foam, you'd think he'd eaten scrubbing bubbles! :sick He also has this one spot that he always goes to. I had the carpets shampooed and even when I try to move him to a different spot he always comes back to that exact same spot to make his drool foam pile... And the noise he makes as he's smacking those jaws while eating... Good gosh, you'd think he was chewing bubble gum... chomp..slurp..chomp..slurp..chomp..slurp...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will post some pics. I was going down memory lane the other day in my pic files.

So hard to get good pics of the dogs back in the woods.. my phone camera is all I have and it is terrible in low light and I can't zoom without it looking horrible. But yes, I'll get some pics of my boy.