Daisychick's *Journal* New Baby and it Moos!!!!

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all! I have been a member on BYC for a few years but for some reason I never checked out the link to the sister sites. I am so glad I found BYH. :D I would love to keep a journal and I have enjoyed reading all of the others. So on to the starter questions. I hope you enjoy. :D

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
I live in Southern Colorado. The climate here goes from -10 degree Winter days to 109 degree Summer days. Those are the extremes and most of the time it is beautiful here. We can get snow and cold one day and then the next morning all the snow melts and it gets up to 60 degrees, you can never second guess the weather here.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I am the mom of 2 wonderful boys, age 12 and 14, I am married to my best friend and High School sweetheart ( both the same person :p )

3. How would you define your farm?
Mini, tiny and not big enough for me. It is about 2 acres.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I would be outside messing with animals.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I have helped build a nice chicken coop and I am always there helping the guys.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
No, but my husband has let me try the welder once and it was not fun so I let him do that.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I was born into a family of hobby farmers, big time farmers, and also ranchers. So it is in my blood, but all of my relatives except a few have gotten out of it for money reasons. I try to do what I can on my small property but really wish I had more land. I couldn't stand to live in a place where I couldn't have animals. I survived 2 years of College life without any critters and it about killed me. :p

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby but I wish I could make an occupation out of it.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I know basic care of most things, but I am always reading and I love learning things everyday.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
I will probably never have the equipment to do big time crops, so I stick to a vegetable garden.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
I try to improve on that all the time.
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Outside somewhere, I love the outdoors.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor and I have driven a dump truck a few times.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I have tried to make soap, jewelry, and other things like that. I can't wait to get goats milk and try to make cheese.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
I think we can have all forms, just in limited numbers. Check my signature for my list. :p

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I tried a wood lather once.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I always have a garden and I LOVE tomatoes and cucumbers.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I LOVE to fish. We fish lakes, and mountain streams and rivers all over Colorado. I use bait and lures.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
a couple acres outside of city limits

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
I have an Associates degree is Child Development

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
No specialties, just hobbies.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
If I had my choice I wouldn't have to have a degree and could just do things I love.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Nope

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Sure if it really works.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
I love it here but I also LOVE Washington and Oregon.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
We have a wood pellet stove and use it all Winter, Love it.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
A hunky man that loves to fish, hang out with animals and play in the dirt. :p

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Yes, most of them. Some think I am crazy.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
I love to cook and I would love to be a Chef for fun. I love whole foods, natural foods and farm fresh eggs. I was raised on raw milk from birth until age 7 and then we moved. I just got 2 Nubian goats and I can't wait to have my own raw milk again.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
The best is all of the fun times and laughs I have had just watching the animals. The worst is when I was 14 and had to put my best horse down, he was my best friend for years and I still remember the day he died like it was yesterday.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
We sometimes collect pinon nuts and my family hunts.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
Not afraid of getting dirty.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
I have processed my own meat, but I would rather send them to the butcher because I get too attached. I love to can and preserve when I can find the time.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
We don't now, but I would love to use wind or solar power someday.

35 What is on your to do list?
Pay off bills and buy some more land.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No and sure it would be amazing to be able to do that.

37. In what do you trust?
Myself and my husband

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
All the time.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
No, I was born this way. :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:welcome

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
A hunky man that loves to fish, hang out with animals and play in the dirt.
:lol:

Looking forward to reading your journal :D

marlowmanor

Reaction score
You have a degree in the same thing I do! And we are on a mini farm too, but our lot is much smaller, we only live on 3/4acre. We also only have a handful of animals though. We are hoping to live somewhere with more land in the next few years so we can have more animals, but are making do with what we have for now. Right now for us the critters are pets and something for the kids to enjoy!

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok now for more informal stuff:

My real name is Chandra, my user name is from my favorite flower and well I'm a chick and I like to raise chicks.

I have always had horses, I actually had a horse waiting for me the day I was born. My dad and uncle used to be into Rodeos and raised cattle. Over the years I have owned many horses but only a few favorites that we kept until they died. When I was little we had goats, cows, pigs, chickens, and sheep. As time went on my parents only kept the horses. I did do 4H for years and showed horses, market lambs and pigs. I stuck with my love for animals and can't seem to live without them. I started as soon as I got married with a goal of owning my own place where I could get critters. We have had our Mini-Farm for 10 years now.

Since this is about the animals, I will list the ones with names. :D

Mistie (called MistieMist)- 21 year old Arabian mare, I have owned her for 10 years and she will stay here until she dies.

Rosana Rosanadana (called Zana)- 1 year old mini donkey, hilarious little girl who loves people.

Stella and Luna -5 month old Nubian doelings, Stella is brown with white points, Luna is black with white freckled ears and nose.

Sugar (called The Dugalor, Suggabugga, Hamburgerlor) - 3 year old Boston Terrier

Sissy - 1 yr old Boston Terrier

Cheyenne - (sometimes called Cheyenne Hernandez Martinez.....don't ask :) ) 7 yr old Black Lab

Marvin and Max - cats

The assorted poultry all have random names that change daily depending on my mood. :D

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
An example of the daily fun of having a mini donkey. We have been in a drought for the entire Summer, and thankfully this past week it has decided to rain. It rained an inch (which is unheard of around here) last night, so we have mud. In order to get to the gate to feed the goats I have to walk through the horse/donkey pen. There is a really thin strip of dryness where the barn overhangs that I can walk without being knee deep in mud. I am tightrope walking down this strip and here comes Zana doing the same from the other direction. She walks right up to me, hoping for treats or lovin. I am trying to keep my balance and pushing her on her nose trying to get her to back up or move so I can make it to the goat pen with my armful of hay and not have to walk in the deep mud. I wasn't able to pet her or give her attention. So she won't move. I push her out of the way the best I can and she gives me a dirty look and turns away. I go into the goats pen, feed them, hang out with them a while and give them some scratches. Well I swear the donkey is really really smart and she saw me pet the goats and I didn't pet her! She parks herself right in front of the walk through gate so I can't get out of the goat pen. I can't push the gate enough to move her, it only swings outward and I can't reach over it to tap her on the butt so she will move. I swear she looks back at me and smiles. I had to yell for my husband to walk up to the other fence so she would run over there (she loves him the most). I then was able to get out and carry on with my chores. I did give in and give her a scratch on the head while I laughed.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
:welcome from New Jersey

Enjoyed your journal so far. You donkey sounds like a hoot! :)

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just hard boiled and peeled 30 banty size eggs. Stuck them in a jar and now we wait. Pickled eggs in about a week oh yeah! :D

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Went to Big R this weekend, it is the only farm and ranch store similar to TSC or Murdochs or others within a 50 mile radius of me. So to me it is the equivalent of an outdoor man going to Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas :D My DH went along and bought himself a new pair of work boots at the price of $145. This is fine with me because the man only owns 2 pairs of shoes and buys new boots maybe once every 2 years. But on the other hand I saw it as a green light for me to spend the same amount. :D I am not the typical girl at all, total tom boy. I don't ever look at clothes or shoes, I head straight to the animal supplies! I bought a really nice 2 slotted fence feeder and some Manna Pro goat minerals for my goat girls, a new pink halter for Rosanna (donkey), an awesome goat cheese making book and other "needed" things. It was worth the 40 minute drive there and back.