Reaction score
Bath time today!! And she now has a very bad habit of bucking😒
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg
IMG_1180.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you checked the fit of her tack and her teeth? Throwing her head back with her mouth open makes me wonder if she's reacting to pain?

"A horse that habitually works with his mouth open generally does so in an attempt to escape from pain or discomfort in his mouth.

Such discomfort can be caused by:

• Dental problems
  • The rider’s unsteady hands (constantly pulling or seesawing at the horse’s mouth)
  • A poorly fitting bit
  • Tension
  • A combination of the above
Tack can also cause a horse to open his mouth when ridden."

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked the fit of her tack and her teeth? Throwing her head back with her mouth open makes me wonder if she's reacting to pain?

"A horse that habitually works with his mouth open generally does so in an attempt to escape from pain or discomfort in his mouth.

Such discomfort can be caused by:

• Dental problems
  • The rider’s unsteady hands (constantly pulling or seesawing at the horse’s mouth)
  • A poorly fitting bit
  • Tension
  • A combination of the above
Tack can also cause a horse to open his mouth when ridden."
Yes that’s the confusing thing is that her tack fits her well and I’ve been riding for years and am always conscious of how my hands are placed🤷‍♀️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If her teeth check out, change bits.
You are an experienced rider and don’t balance yourself by hanging on the reins. I recommend something that gives you a little more control than a O ring snaffle.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Teeth or back....discomfort. she didn't do this first couple times you rode -- ?? 🤔 But another along.

Does she do this only when riding alone? Or when another horse along also? I'm thinking, also...tantrum😁 barn/buddy sour.
She basically just threw a tantrum, she’s ok riding alone but we were with Tucker this time
Teeth or back....discomfort. she didn't do this first couple times you rode -- ?? 🤔 But another along.

Does she do this only when riding alone? Or when another horse along also? I'm thinking, also...tantrum😁

Latest posts