Dakota, my dream

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If her teeth check out, change bits.
You are an experienced rider and don’t balance yourself by hanging on the reins. I recommend something that gives you a little more control than a O ring snaffle.
I’m open to suggestions on types of bits…
I would like to eventually work my way to a hackamore though

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A mechanical type hackamore or bosal type?

A high port curb bit with a roller is an excellent tool in the hands of an experienced rider, to correct bad behavior. It takes someone with a light touch, to not hang in the horses mouth. I had a horse that would bite down on the bit or lip the side shanks. I switched to a high port with roller and cut back side shanks and that got her attention. She mended her bad manners and was fine. Later switched back to plain curb not and she was good.

A bit is not bad. If it is, then it is either the wrong bit or the rider hangs on the reins. You might want to try a short shank snaffle, called a Tom Thumb or an Argentine bit. They use a curb strap or chain. If she is comfortable and responds there, stop. If she still act out, go to the high port with roller.

@Mini Horses. @frustratedearthmother any thoughts?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Riders, bits, and horses... so many options. I wonder what bit she was ridden in before? Way back when I lived and breathed horses I had dozens of bits. Different horses, different levels of training...

I can tell you what I don't like. I don't like a broken bit with a long shank and a curb chain. It literally puts the horses jaw into a vise causing all kinds of problems. I had a barrel racing mare that I rode with that type of bit ONLY when we were racing and only because in the arena she had no whoa, lol. We went out of town and a neighbor decided to ride my horse, without permission, while we were gone. He used my racing bridle. When I got home my horse's tongue had almost been cut off. I have never been so furious in my life.

Also, broken bits (snaffle type) can put a lot of pressure on the bars of the horses mouth - depending on the rider of course. (not saying this rider is doing that!) If the horse has bad teeth that bit may very easily be bumping the teeth every time she's being direct reined. I strongly suggest teaching the horse to neck rein.

I just saw that @SageHill mentioned rubber bits. I think that's definitely worth a try - especially if it's curved to give the horse's tongue some room.

I think it will be trial and error with this mare. She may be spoiled like Mini suggested or stubborn, or she may be reacting to pain. In my experience a horse that is dead set on bucking, just to buck, will put their head down, round their back, and cut loose. A horse that's reacting to pain, or trying to evade pressure, will toss that head back with an open mouth and a hollow back.

Just my 2cents...

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions! I plan on eventually working my way up to neck reigning and a hackamore. For now I’m going to focus on building my relationship, trust and control from the ground again.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Trust is an important element. I’ve had Reina 5 months and just put a saddle and bridle on her this past week. She kept working the bit, I have another one picked out for her to try. When I find a bit she is ok with, then I’ll ride.
I’ve been following her thread! I love your patience with her!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just checking in to see if there were any developments with Dakota.
I'm sure you'll have this figured out quickly.