Dallas and Ringo

irret13

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are Dallas and Ringo. They will be the first additions to our backyard herd in about a month. They are in their golden years but we will give them tons of love and attention for whatever time they have left. They are both about 16. They will be sharing a small pasture with two Nigerian Dwarf goats (which we won't have until June) but having their own barn/shelter area at night. Any words of wisdom on having them sharing space and living next door to goats? Thank you!
Dallas.JPG
Ringo.JPG

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sweet boys, we have taken in some older pacas as well. Its nice to know they will be living their final days at a nice home.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looks like a very nice living arrangement they have there. Looks like they lucked into some really golden, golden years :) I don't think you'll have any issues with the Nigies sharing the Paca's space. They (Nigies) are much smaller and unless they have horns (and even if they do), should be fine together. I do NOT speak from experience, just MHO.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know about pasturing goats and alpacas together but DO make SURE that the alpacas can't get to any goat feed or minerals containing copper.

You might find that the alpacas aren't real interested in being inside at night. Mine have 24 hour access to the barn and outside. An upside of this 24 hour open door policy is that they (most of the time!) use their outdoor poop pile (OK, poop TRAIL) any time of the day (or night I guess) so I've not had to (often) remove poop from inside the barn.

They will need shade given it gets pretty hot where you live. Even here mine will spend a good part of a summer day in their barn alley space in the north end of the barn or the shade of the barn just outside, then go out in the evening for the night. I open the doors on both the north and south end of the alley (during the day) in warmer weather so there is usually at least a slight breeze blowing through.

They don't really care about rain or snow (you've heard of snow, right? ;);) ) but from all I've read, goats are allergic to rain.

I'm GUESSING the pictures are from their current home since you mentioned 2 but I see three? Or maybe you already had one?

irret13

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied. It is appreciated! I do know that copper is bad for the Alpacas. I will definitely be feeding them separately (minerals included) - except for hay which I think they can share if I put an additional feeder in the shared area. The Alpaca farm and the goat breeder both feed a combination of orchard and alfalfa. The goat breeder warned us that goats are allergic to rain lol.

I wish this was my house but no, this is the Alpaca farm. They have 20+ Alpacas and two Llamas.

There is a huge California Pepper tree in the middle of the shared area so both goats and Alpacas will have tons of shade during the summer. For now we are thinking of putting up a three-sided shelter for the Alpacas. We have a small barn that we need to put back together after moving it. An alley between that and the goat house (which is not built yet) is a good idea as well.

There are coyotes in the vicinity but they would have to go over two sets of 6-foot vinyl fencing at the back and two sets of 5-foot chain link on either side. We are thinking about putting up barbed wire at the top of the 5-foot chain link just to be safe.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom. This site is a great resource!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something over the top of the chain link is a good idea, I think coyotes might be able to jump a 5' fence, certainly they could get a foothold in the chain link if they wanted to scale it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would recommend against barbed wire. You'd be far better off with a strand or two of hot wire.