Dam raised with supplements

SmithFarmily

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there! 3 does on the farm recently had 7 kids! One set of triplets and 2 twins. I started giving the weakest triplet a bottle once -twice wot day to help her grow as she kept g tying pushed out but then one of the triplets sadly passed away. The one triplet I supplemented in the morning is the sweetest little girl now and has me wondering if it’s possible to pull the babies from the moms at night and give them a bottle at night in the morning to help make them friendlier with people. Is that a thing or a big fat no no? I bottle fed a few babies in my time but never with a healthy capable mom around. If it is doable what would I supplement with?
Thank you so much in advance!

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did that with my kids born in January. I brought them in of the nights for maybe 2 weeks. Enough for the temps to get above freezing at night (and for them to put on some weight) I took them back out in the morning after giving them a few ounces of milk each. And they still gladly latched on to their moms for more.

I used:
1 gallon of whole milk
1 can of evaporated milk
1 cup of buttermilk

You will want to pour about 4 cups of milk into a waiting bowl. Add the can and the buttermilk to the gallon container then add back some of the remaining whole milk. Not all will fit so you will have extra. I either drink that myself or pour a bottle then add that back to the gallon. Shake well before pouring bottles.