Damage after flystrike...

Mitzi Carrea

Just born
Reaction score
I just brought home a week old kid that had fly strike on a hoof. He has completely healed except he will not walk on that leg. He holds it up. He has full range of motion and doesn’t seem to be in pain. Has anyone experienced this? I’m going to try to work with him to get him to use it but also in need of ideas!
Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Mitzi, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

I'm having a difficult time with the time frame of having flystike and then complete healing in a week old kid... Takes several days for eggs to turn to maggots, and then several more days for damage to occur, then a week or more for healing... How bad was the maggot damage from the fly strike? What caused the initial injury to allow the fly strike to occur? Since the kid is only a week old, it may take a while longer for him to get back to a normal growth curve and learn to walk on it. Again, pictures would really help.

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Mitzi Carrea

Just born
Reaction score
Hi.
Thank you. I live in Tn. Temps here have been 90-105 lately. I know some fly eggs can hatch in 24 hours time given right conditions and fly type.

From my understanding the kid was born in field and found roughly 24 hours later. Triplets and he was one of 2 that she was able to save. He had a small spot on each ear and between one hoof. Nothing huge. Scans on ears but hoof is healed.

Pics uploaded! I can hold it down while he eats with little fight but then he pulls it up or crosses behind the good leg when I let go.

Attachments

• E900819C-066A-4E19-98CD-9EA0FAFADA37.jpeg
    E900819C-066A-4E19-98CD-9EA0FAFADA37.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 6C0494BA-3476-4064-8DE0-53C0B8DF1FCC.jpeg
    6C0494BA-3476-4064-8DE0-53C0B8DF1FCC.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 176
  • EE6A407D-12C7-481D-86A1-68CDBDCA88C2.jpeg
    EE6A407D-12C7-481D-86A1-68CDBDCA88C2.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 151

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What a cute little bundle of fur. Thanks for the pics, but they don't really show anything regarding the injury, just a cute little goat with his leg up in the air.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goats are wimpy when it comes to lameness... it hurt yesterday so I ain't trying it again today. Give him a couple weeks and he should be fine. Dogs the same way, they get in the habit and even after all is OK will still limp.

Latest posts