Damp hay

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. think we might go and get one soon

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
San Jose was a lot nicer back then, now it is an overcrowded overly expensive xxxxhole. From 200K in 1960 to over a million now.
Even back in 1962, when we moved there, the smog was AWFUL!!! :thI remember brown sky & achy lungs. Since I left in the early 70's, it has become Silicon Valley. THAT really ruined the Santa Clara Valley!!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, "Do you know the way to San Jose" sure had a different meaning in the 60's.

We had the same foul "burn your eyes and lungs" air where I grew up just south of L.A.. Days in elementary school where we couldn't go out for recess. Going up the 3 flights of stairs moving into the dorm at Cal Poly Pomona in 1974 required a minimum 20 minute break before the next trip.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha! I went to Whittier College and remember touring the Pasdena Art Museum in 1972, after I graduated. Like you said, my eyes burned & my lungs ached so bad I could hardly breathe. That was what they called a "Brown Alert Day". Every one was supposed to stay home & drive as little as possible, to keep pollution down, so the air could clear.

The problem was the valleys, in So. Cal. held the smog plus there was what I think they called an inversion layer, that held the smog down, like a lid. UGH! NASTY! I don't misss L.A. or S.J. for that reason.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. think we might go and get one soon
We got our garage on sale, and they had a 20% off coupon, on any one item. I think retail was $329. The sale price was $169 (off the "sale price" of $269) and with the 20% off it was something rediculous, like $128. Sometimes if you wait for the right sale, and use their 20% off coupon, you can get a good price on their higher ticket items.

Do you get texts with sale offers, from Harbor Freight? If you go to their website, I'm pretty sure they have the number to text a code to, and then they automatically send sale alerts.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha! I went to Whittier College and remember touring the Pasdena Art Museum in 1972, after I graduated. Like you said, my eyes burned & my lungs ached so bad I could hardly breathe. That was what they called a "Brown Alert Day". Every one was supposed to stay home & drive as little as possible, to keep pollution down, so the air could clear.

The problem was the valleys, in So. Cal. held the smog plus there was what I think they called an inversion layer, that held the smog down, like a lid. UGH! NASTY! I don't miss L.A. or S.J. for that reason.

Whittier College is a whacking 7 miles as the car drives from the house I grew up in. How did we miss each other? :lol:

Yep, brown alert days and inversion layer. The only time the air was (and is now) clear is when the HOT and DRY Santa Anas blow it all out to sea. For those that have never been there, picture this:
Look up, see blue sky. Look horizontally and you can't see the mountains 20 miles distant.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tractor supply also has those type of "canvas" garages, a friend uses 2 when they are harvesting chestnuts so that they are under cover to sort and open them so that they can put them on trays to dry. They love them.

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Going to check out TS and sign up for the mailing list

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I haven't seen the ones at TSC. Just to clarify: We got ours at Harbor Freight. To get sale alerts via text:
Text TOOLS7 to 222377

Yeah going to sign up for coupon stuff from harbor freight

Latest posts